Opening Day

Bigfoot

Re: Opening Day

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:01 am

legal for the area i hunt was 6:37am.........settled into my treestand turned the light on my watch and it was 6:24....no sooner had the watch went back into my pocket off to my left BOOM.......less than a minute later from out in front of me came shots 2,3 and 4....looked at my watch again 6:27am..........meanwhile i look around and go yeah i guess if a deer was within 5 yards maybe i could tell what it is

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 am

I don't shoot early or late. I figure it's the least I can do to say, you out smarted me again today, but I will be back tomorrow. I like venison and big bucks as much as the next guy, but I don't need to break any laws, no matter the situation, in order to satisfy my desires or ego.

It is entirely too bad that there are as many out there that feel the need to have to shoot so early and late, just to tag a deer.

By the way, at least you got out this morning. I had a family emergency last night, so it looks like I won't be getting a chance to be out in the woods until Wednesday morning. Hopefully the early/late shooters leave a buck or two for us late starters!

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Hope things turn out alright Dan.

As for me up in Three Lakes (near Eagle River) the meteorologist nailed it. Not much wind, dry morning, around noon rain/snow/ice mix, then by two it was all snow. By the time we headed in, 2 inches on the ground. Hoping for a little more overnight. Oh, and I got a small 8 pointer at 3:50 pm. :-)

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:24 am

Meules37,

Thank you. Just the Flu running rampant, but with a pregnant wife, the Flu takes on a mind of it's own. A trip to the hospital and an IV later, we're back to being hydrated and no harm to the baby.

Congrats on the 8 pointer. Post some pictures when you get a chance!

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:18 am

opening day we got out before light, heard some shooting around but not a lot. around 9 two does came out of the woods around 60 yards from me broad side and stopped. i shot the first one and followed her going across the field about 80 yards then she fell over. the second doe turned and came back down the tree line and stood ten yards from me, but I was using a pump shot gun and did not release the old chamber, by the time I did she turned and was going away, being that I had shot a buck and doe bow hunting I decided to let her go. she ended up going right by my buddy and he shot her. so 2 does down in the dirt. this was over by briggsville. sunday I went up by mauston , got in my stand around 11 sat until dark and saw 9 deer 4 within shooting range, but no shooter bucks, so they all walked unless the neighbors got them. good luck everyone, be safe , and keep the stories coming in

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:18 am

We got in our stand about 5:50am. I wanted to get out a little earlier but I have to walk out with 2 other people and they were dragging butt a little. We walked in a deer snort wheezing at us and 5 minutes after setting in our stand the deer walked within 30 yards. I could make out the outline of the deer but couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. After it walked off about 5 minutes later I heard the first shot of the season. 5 rapid shots at 6:10am. There was no way whoever shot knew what they were shooting at other than it was a deer (hopefully)... They weren't shooting at the deer that walked through the shots were further off than that deer could have made it.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin