hot mah-ma

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
howhill1

RE: hot mah-ma

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:22 am

thats the way i took it ..... but i KNOW better.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:23 am

wonder if anybody has told the native americans. they're gonna be devastated.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:58 am

I want to get the woodwise call, seems like its innovative enough.  If it produces,and nobody else has tried it, could be a ace up your sleeve. It won't be as good as rattling antlers...let's see you do that with your mouth.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 am

no.........i carry those

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:15 am

the video you guys are talking about , the deer doctor, is that good to teach what time of year to try different calls.  Like I have said, and my name, I do have tons to learn. I have only been deer hunting few years and pretty much self taught, although when I started I was hunting with someone who thought they knew absolutely everything and I will admit probably knows more than me, most things said were bull.   I have called does in with the can and I have called a buck all the way under my stand with a soft doe grunt, not a shooter but one of my favorite times in the woods.  I honestly have no faith in myself as to when to grunt when to rattle so I rely on putting my stand in good spot and shutting up. I know if I was better at knowing when to try what I would have better success.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 am

yea mr. fidducia probably speaks " deer " better than they do. he demos all phases of deer vocalization.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:00 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn

. . . I rely on putting my stand in good spot and shutting up.

There, you've got it!    That's the key to it all.  Congrats!  You can change your name to "Knows-it-All"    That right there is all you need.  The rest just gives us something to yack about the rest of the year.

Calling?  My advice is to call sparingly and conservatively and never all that aggressively.  Never call blindly.  When you decide you're and expert, you can break all those rules, but for now keep it simple.  Your success so far should already be building your confidence.  After 26 years, I'm still not 100% sold on the idea. Mostly, I stick with what you said: I put my stand in a good spot and stay quiet.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:53 am

the deer doctor is still around he has a show still and his web site and show are called woods and water.he just wrote a new book and he does the seminar circuit every year ,saw him this winter and won a deer drag/sled real nice one.LOT TO LEARN yes it tells you everything you need to know,how and when to use it.If you PM me maybe we can work something out
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:19 am

if i bleet its with the can ive had it call in several small bucks but no shooters but here in tn shooters are hard to come by
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:16 pm

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn

the video you guys are talking about , the deer doctor, is that good to teach what time of year to try different calls.  Like I have said, and my name, I do have tons to learn. I have only been deer hunting few years and pretty much self taught, although when I started I was hunting with someone who thought they knew absolutely everything and I will admit probably knows more than me, most things said were bull.   I have called does in with the can and I have called a buck all the way under my stand with a soft doe grunt, not a shooter but one of my favorite times in the woods.  I honestly have no faith in myself as to when to grunt when to rattle so I rely on putting my stand in good spot and shutting up. I know if I was better at knowing when to try what I would have better success.
I rattle early in the season, because after mid Oct. every one has pretty much turned the deer off with calling too often around here. Rattle in short 1-2 minute bursts every hour, then watch to see deer movement. I never rattle once the deer has committed, that just ups the odds that you will get busted. I use grunts only to turn a deer towards my direction, and most of the time they pay no heed to my couple grunts anyway. I also never rattle before dark, because I don't want a buck under my stand I can't see.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions