New Forum FAQ

If you used our old forum, please read this ...
charlie 01

Re: New Forum FAQ

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 am

I don't understand how these spammers get in. Don't we have people that check what is being posted? Is there no control over this? You mean I could post pics of naked people and no one would stop it. I had always thought that someone was controling this. Am I wrong?
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 pm

charlie 01 wrote:I don't understand how these spammers get in. Don't we have people that check what is being posted? Is there no control over this? You mean I could post pics of naked people and no one would stop it. I had always thought that someone was controling this. Am I wrong?

Ben posted in another thread that they are working internally on a new registration process I think that will stop this. I just can't find the thread at the moment.

Hopefully it will be up & running before long.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:34 am

Well, it didn't work...
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:27 am

Ohio farms wrote:Well, it didn't work...

More spam overnight. 8 posters with a total (by my count) 2561 posts. I talk alot, but I could not do that in a month! :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Do you think this is a group of idiots being funny, or just one idiot with different posting names?
never say never

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 am

charlie 01 wrote:Do you think this is a group of idiots being funny, or just one idiot with different posting names?

It has to be automated. this is a machine with series of handles. could be content oriented, or just random handles. It is designed to appear random in the number of posts to beat spam filters. It is a machine designed to beat a machine.I have reported 3444 spam posts by PM to ben since yesterday. This is how they conduct business. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:07 pm

kellory wrote: This is how they conduct business. :(

What kind of business? What are they gaining here? All I see is that they are makeing a bunch of people mad.
never say never

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:21 pm

charlie 01 wrote:
kellory wrote: This is how they conduct business. :(

What kind of business? What are they gaining here?

Diferent things. Some get paid by how many people click on thier links, some contract to spread the word about a product by post it online, like pop ups, or in forums. Thier job is much like passing out handbills to passing shoppers. Most end up as trash, but a few might spark interest. On a large enough scale, and with automated mailers it is cost effective, and works well enough to be profitable.There are also internet rankings based on how many hits are found on the web. Each scrambled message we have would still give a hit for thier ranking numbers. Exstremely annoying, harmful, and completely self serving like the photographers who hound celebraties, They are very hard to discourage. The maker of the products may have no knowledge as to how it is done, just in the results. :(
Last edited by kellory on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Just about all of this new crap, I mean crop, is coming through the Alabama section. I would suggest a filter to prevent bots to log on at all. They are listed as bots, so That is where I would look. The posting times are super quick, no human could post that many posts in that short a time, so it HAS to be automated.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:35 pm

I think you have something there Kellory. Alabama's site is always loaded with the spam junk. It is now too.
Anyone else see that?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to NEW FORUM FAQ