2011 WI Hunting Journal

bouhntr

Re: 2011 WI Hunting Journal

Postby bouhntr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 pm

great looking deer buckmaster1, sounds like an awsome stalk good job

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:56 pm

the DNR says the opening weekend kill totals are up compared to last year's opening weekend. I had to laugh when I read that. I put some hard miles on foot today and didn't see squat...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:15 am

Our party has had pretty good success this gun season. So far we've got 5 deer, all bucks: one nubbin by a youngster, my biggest buck, my cousins first deer, and two other baskets.

I shot mine yesterday morning (Wednesday) around 9:15. I was sitting in a stand overlooking a marsh when the farmer came and started to plow the field that runs along the edge of the marsh. He came pretty close to the marsh and must have bumped these deer from their beds; they weren't that spooked but I don't think they would have been up moving that late in the morning. I was watching a forkhorn through the scope about 150 yards away and wasn't going to shoot until a bigger one stepped into view. I pulled the trigger once and pulled the gun back up to see that they were still standing there looking at me. I shot again and saw the bigger one hunch up and head into some thick stuff where I couldn't see him. I waited about an hour and had my cousins come help me look for him, which happened almost instantly. The pictures don't really do him justice since the most impressive part is the mass. He has an 18.5" spread and 5.5" bases. This buck has to be at least 4.5 years old, but I don't think it's out of the question for him to be 6.5. The first picture is with my cousins first deer. This year I've shot my first turkey and buck with a bow, as well as my biggest buck with a rifle. I think its a fitting way to go out before I go into the service and can't hunt my stomping grounds for a couple years!!
142 (Copy).JPG
142 (Copy).JPG (112.24 KiB) Viewed 343 times
139 (Copy).JPG
139 (Copy).JPG (98.17 KiB) Viewed 343 times
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:19 pm

dad shot a buck yesterday afternoon......took off like a rocket,so we blood trailed it till it was dark out and couldnt find anymore.......went back out this morning and didnt find a single drop despite 2 of us out their searching.....as a last ditch effort i went over about 100-150 yards to the creek that runs through the place figured i'd look around and follow that for awhile.........went about 40 yards and they he was......was quite happy to find this one because for awhile i did not think we were going to
Attachments
020.jpg
020.jpg (127.72 KiB) Viewed 339 times

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:17 pm

This is your year Wisbooner. congrats to you and your family. I missed 4 deer seasons while in the Army. So, enjoy these moments while you can... Congrats to your dad Bigfoot... Perseverance paid off.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Well done Wishboner! Sounds like an excellent hunting season! And thank you for your service! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

willypete

Postby willypete » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:02 pm

There is no way kills are up this year. All I have heard from anyone is crappy reports...I barely hear shots.

I saw 7 does opening weekend decided not to shoot. Then Mon, Tues, Wed I didn't hear squat. I have sat in my stand all season so far and after 3 days of nothing I was hitting my head agaisnt my shooting rail. Finally the neighbor was on a walk on the fence line. Kicked up 4 does, 1 med. Sized doe and 3 bambis. My season was going so bad I shot thru a ton of branches at a attempt to get the adult doe. I ended up hitting a branch that sent my bullet down towards to guts. I basically skinned it right below it's guts and it ran 400 yards before it's stomach fell out and caused it to rapidly bleed. 20 yards later the deer died without a stomach. It was pretty funny and I had a good laugh until I realized it ran 400 yards away from where I could get my truck

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:42 pm

GF got a doe this afternoon. First time out hunting, first shot at a deer. 1 shot from the 30.06 and dropped it in its tracks. Was very happy for her and she talked about it the whole way home. Glad to see the enthusiasm out of her as I never thought in my life she'd be interested in this sort of thing.
Attachments
jessdoe.jpg
jessdoe.jpg (471.99 KiB) Viewed 358 times
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Congratulations to your GF Gafrage. Sounds like she is a hunter for life now. My gun season is officially over. I have alot of things in my schedule for the next 3-4 days. Got some good exercise out of this season. Thats about it. I am planning on late season bow hunting. Nothing to serious. Maybe a few hour sits here and there, depending on the weather.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:36 am

Had a great hunt. I hear alot of complaining from other hunters, and maybe I am just lucky, but I sure can't complain.
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg (274.46 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Shot a nice sized doe Opening Day and a real nice 10 pointer Sunday. Also came across three separate bear tracks. The Saturday snow storm in our area (Washburn county) was nice, too.
That's 4 deer for me with the bow and gun, so I am done for now (will still do some late season bow).
Good luck to everybody still out there hunting!

Jimbo

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin