Gobble Goble

kykevin

Gobble Goble

Postby kykevin » Fri May 07, 2010 6:59 pm

I regret to say that I have not been in the woods chasing the long beards as much as in years past. Work, Family, and a whole lot of mother nature have kept me at home on more than one occasion. As I type this I hear rain beating on my window and the thunder clapping. Only 2 days of turkey hunting left and I have to work one of them. I say to mother nature, bring it on. I will be on a ridge somewhere in Owen County before daybreak even if I need waders and a canoe, waiting for my feathered friend to give away his location with a thunderous gobble gobble. How has everyone done this year? And to those who like me are still holding a pair of tags, Good Luck and happy hunting.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

shaman

RE: Gobble Goble

Postby shaman » Tue May 11, 2010 12:36 am

I called in two for Lil Angus and then called in another two for SuperCore.  After that, the birds got weird on me and I didn't get to fill a single tag of my own. 

The whole Northeast Region had a good harvest.  Bracken County's numbers were up from last year, but it lost ground against some of the better-producing counties.

One redeeming gem:  I had two bucks in velvet taking on three jakes one morning.  The bucks were trying to nudge the jakes around the field. The jakes responded by taking it for a bit and then flogging the bucks.  The two bucks took a few turns each at this and then gamboled off into the woods.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 am

Hello kykevin, and shaman. I hope it worked out for you kykevin. I was wondering how you did shaman, sorry about the unfilled tags. I took my pal Mike with me again on Opening morning and we had 2 come in right away. But this year Mike didn't miss and he put his first tag on a bird ever. I let him shoot first and the other bird didn't move fast enough before I could put him on the ground. The birds were defiantley henned up the first week and were not coming in to my calls or decoys. I hunted them all day on the first Tuesday and I had birds around me all day but the hens kept the long beards with them all day. On Wednesday I put the calls and decoys up and set up in my blind on top of the ridge where they hung out all afternoon on Tuesday. At 4pm I put my second bird down as they came back into the field. He was a real nice bird,  23#, 11-1/2" beard, and      1-1/8" spurs. I forgot my camera on opening morning, so we didn't get any pics of our double[:(], but here is a pic of the second bird[;)]. There were over 36,000 birds taken this spring. I believe this is a new record harvest.

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:11 am

I only had a few days to hunt after fianls but did manage to kill a 25lbs Eastern KY gobbler.
[img][img]http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/BLAB88/th_100_0399.jpg[/img] [/img]

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:48 am

Congrats rweyman thats a nice bird. I cant wait to try my hand at the fall birds in a few months. Have been chasing them in the spring since I was big enough to pack a shotgun but have never tried the fall hunt.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

kyhareraiser

Postby kyhareraiser » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 am

ended my season this spring..filled two gobbler tags..brds were strange this year though..i learned that picking a fight with a hen would get me a tom.. early in the morn i let out a flydown cakkle and ole tom sounded off and i heard what i thought was a hen yelping and cuting back at me madly..so i just gave it right back to her ,,again she started to give me more jibber jabber in sounds i never heard a hen make b4 ,so i tried to malk her best i could..i don't know what she was saying to me ,but she did'nt like it coming back at her.in a short time i saw the hen rushing up the hillto the ridge and man she was in a hurry ,(gobbler in tow) .once she got to where i was set up she came within 2 yards of me  and she was lookin' hard for the hen that was raisin' cane with her ..i had one eye on her and te other on the gobbler as he topped the knoll.just as he got there he went into strut and as he turned broadside ,i made him a jelly head.now the hen was still close but was looking the other way as i shot and it freaked her out..bet she said to her self.....glad i did'nt find that other hen,she wore ole tom out ..hahahaha good luck filling those fall tags

Return to Kentucky