tracking at night

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
vipermann7

tracking at night

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:46 pm

I've read the Wisconsin regulations a few times, and I may have missed this regulation, but all the same, I'm not sure what the rule is.

Does anyone know, in wisconsin, is it technically illegal to be tracking a deer at night with a light while carrying your weapon with you? This doesn't typically happen to me in gun season, but I've done a lot of tracking at night during bow season. By regulation, am I supposed to leave my bow behind? What do you then about finding a wounded animal? The regulations can be found on the wisconsin DNR website. I'm gonna feel pretty dumb if it is written out in black and white and i just missed it, but at this point, I haven't found that issue specifically addressed.

DeerCamp

RE: tracking at night

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I would contact the DNR in your area and ask them about it. That way you dont go out there and say run into one and then you have a problem
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:09 am

In Indiana the law is spelled out pretty clearly...no loaded weapons in the field outside of legal shooting hours, period. This includes tracking an animal after dark.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:19 am

from my understanding, thats how wisconsin is too, no loaded weapons outside of hunting hours. which i understand, you have to make the law black and white, you cant say "no weapons after hours unless youre tracking a wounded animal" because then people would just hunt all the time and claim they were tracking something. i give game time to die, so most of the time i dont come up on wounded animals. but the couple of times i have come up on wounded game and it was after hours, i have not hesitated to take the appropriate measures to finish the animal off.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Thats a great question, Personally I think if your tracking a wounded animal, you should have the right to defend yourself no matter the time of day or night. I know it's illegal to carry a weapon at night while tracking wounded deer in IL, but would love to see that rule changed. Calling hunters "poachers" because they are finishing off wounded deer shot during legal hunting hours doesnt cut it with me.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:24 am

Question....Don't hunting seasons overlap? ...Don't ppl hunt yotes and raccoons at night? ......how does that come into play?....I'd darn well be carring my gutting knife for a throat slit if possible......

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:02 am

here is a copy of the letter i just sent to  the NY DEC.When i get  areply i will post it.thanks for the great question idea." I was wondering what the rules are for tracking a wounded game animal after dark.say i shoot a deer at last light and it gets dark do i have to secure my bow and rifle before trying to retrive my game?what about using lights for tracking the game in the dark?what if after tracking the animal its still alive can you deliver a fatal shot after dark or wait till morning?"
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:48 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Thats a great question, Personally I think if your tracking a wounded animal, you should have the right to defend yourself no matter the time of day or night. I know it's illegal to carry a weapon at night while tracking wounded deer in IL, but would love to see that rule changed. Calling hunters "poachers" because they are finishing off wounded deer shot during legal hunting hours doesnt cut it with me.

Fortunately, in Indiana, we have a Governor who is a staunch Second Amendment supporter, and white-tail hunters now have the right to carry their personal carry sidearm with them while hunting either with firearm or bow. I have a Glock in .45 ACP with me always.

On the other hand, even though I may carry my sidearm with me, even while tracking a wounded animal after legal shooting hours, I may not use that sidearm to dispatch an animal.

I`m certain you can see why the laws are written as they are...hard to sort out the poachers from the guys honestly tracking a wounded animal if it`s ok to have a loaded weapon in the field all hours. You may not like it, and it may not "cut it with you", but, if you violate the law, then you absolutely have crossed that line and become a poacher.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Didnt expect that answer from you not dispatching a wounded deer because its after hours. You would feel good about finding that animal and then letting it slowly die because you dont want to finish him or her off because of what time it is... Not very ethical is it. Finish the deer off.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:22 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Didnt expect that answer from you not dispatching a wounded deer because its after hours. You would feel good about finding that animal and then letting it slowly die because you dont want to finish him or her off because of what time it is... Not very ethical is it. Finish the deer off.

You have options. You can cut it`s throat. You can wait until morning to track. Or, you can become a poacher. Like always, it`s entirely up to you.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Next

Return to Regulatory issues