Anyone use this stuff

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FFKEVIN

RE: Anyone use this stuff

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 pm

I took my hard earned money and purchased some C'Mere Deer because I saw the commercial and bought it hook, line and sinker.  I read the directions, watched the instructional DVD, and then went out to the woods and poured it all over dead logs & stumps.  I checked it every few days for 3 weeks and they never touched it.  

I couldn't get out to the woods for a couple of weeks, but when I came back to check, those logs looked like eaten ears of corn.  It took a while, but they did hit it hard.

Still, I'll never buy that stuff again.  Just too expensive.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:08 pm

I have had good luck with Deer Cane, but only before the rut. They will lose interest as the rut nears.

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:28 am

I've tried the Deer 'Caine and it worked, quite a few years ago.  Laid it out in some loose dirt under some pines.  Came back two weeks later(not during open season) and found, to our amazement, a 10" deep hole, maybe two feet across. 
Last year I tried 'C Mere Deer right after our season closed.  ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!  Just thought we'd see what was left of the herd.  This stuff definitely works.They found it within one day.  Placed it along side a small clover patch that I had not seen Deer in for quite some time.  They came right out during daylight.  Mostly Does, but a few Bucks.  I don't know what's in it, but it works real well.
A guy from Gander Mountain said this stuff was legal where I live becaue it was an attractant and NOT a food source.  Regardless, I wouldn't hunt over it.  It's illegal to bait Deer here and I don't want to find out the hard way whether or not it's legal to hunt over.
I can tell you that most all the stuff flys off the shelves at Gander and Dicks during the season though.

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:40 pm

I have used buck grub,deer cain, and c'mere deer. they all have worked well. But I will say, buck grub is the best i have ever used. i have had much luck using the product. i dont like to use it all the time, but it's my ace in the hole so to speek. you have to use it where its easy to set out and hunt all day if poss. its tops on my to get list at the beg, or end of every season.

petesvw

Postby petesvw » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

i have had great results in tx but not so good in sc. i found a can of frozen apple juice spread out on the ground works very well. they dug / eat a 12" deep x 2"x2" hole in the ground last year. also tried the salt on a stump had no deer but salt killed the ground cover.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Here is how deer caine went for me...I live in Southwestern PA and have a camp in Northcentral PA.  I put out deer caine in multiple locations at home and near camp.  At home, all efforts were pretty much ignored, but at camp the deer tore it up.  Up there, it got to the point that I have a couple holes a foot deep where I originally just scraped leaves away and dumped the caine on the bare ground.  My conclusion is that here at home, where soil quality is good and browse is diverse, the deer obtain most of the minerals they need thru regular feeding and thus have no interest or need for a supplement.  But, up north, where the soils are poor and the available browse is lower quality and less diverse, the deer are more attracted to the supplemental minerals they may be lacking due to a deficiency in the available minerals.  To this day, I have about 8 spots that I dope up regularly up there, even tho I dont hunt up there any more. 

Some things I've learned over the last six years:

- dont expect immediate results.  It takes deer some time to find the spots. And ,you can actually put too much down and the deer will wait for a few rains to make the ground more palatable.
- When you pick a spot, keep putting it in the same spot about every two weeks to every month.
- dont expect the spots to be hit during the daylight, especially where the deer are hunted hard.
- deer aren't the only animals that will take advantage of it.  Applying it to stumps will draw a variety of animals including (here, anyway) skunks, possums and porcupines, squirrels, and possibly bears.  I believe I attract more rodents and such when I put it on a stump, rather than on the ground.
- it is better to put a little down once a month than it is to dump a ton of it once a year.
- I believe that if you want to use supplements successfully, you have to establish a dumpsite over a period of years, rather than just in one season.  Not to say it wouldn't work after one application, but I think I've conditioned the deer to my spots and by now (six years later) the knowledge has been passed on to younger generations and that has increased deer activity.
- the stuff works better in loose loamy soils than it does in clay or rocky spots.  I think it works better if it gets absorbed in the soil, rather than just sitting on top.
- I've never used anything other than deer caine because its cheap (a bag lasts me 4-5 months...a little goes a long way) and because, in the right situation, it works.
- I dont hunt over these spots, I just put it out to try and keep deer living in the area and make them healthier.

Sorry this went on so long, hope it helps.

Previous

Return to General Discussions