Task force discusses deer herd management

EatDeer

Task force discusses deer herd management

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 pm

These are the four ideas the group came up with. (1) make over-the-counter doe permits available for certain counties,(2) utilize the "earn-a-buck" program,(3) establish a firearms "doe only" season in late October, and(4) increase "that" doe season to nine days. None were adopted by the committee, but will be decided after public meetings.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

RE: Task force discusses deer herd management

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:55 am

the first thing this state needs to do is hire a bioligist to head up the dnr instead of one of the governer's friends who just likes helicpter rides. quit allowing beauracrats from chicago who are more concerned with lining they're pockets than managing our resources to make the calls. bring back check stations, hire more officers, do more field work.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:03 am

i like the idea of another doe only gun season but i think august would be better. as a bowhunter a 9 day gun season in otcober seems unsettling. i hunt the late season in jan. we take quite a few does every year but you run the risk of killing a buck whos antlers have dropped. this happened in our group last year. during a drive a good sized deer came limping out to the field. of course it was instantly put out of its misery. upon inspection we realized it was in fact about a 2 1/2 year old buck whod been hit by a car at some time. i just wonder how many are killed every jan?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:08 am

I am with you, I don't like the idea of a doe gun season in Oct. Like you said a bioligist needs to weigh in this. How long after a 9 day gun season just prior to pre-rut will it take for the woods to settle down.  I think you would actually decrease the number of deer taken overall with that timing. Of course with our call in check in, how many bucks will go down. I like the idea of earn a buck, or even just make 2nd season run straight through to muzzleloader season, doe only.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:28 am

the 2nd season to muzzle loader doe only has my intrigue. i know ive usually filled my archery tags by this time. i would also like to hear a bioligists point of view. i not real fond of the earn a buck. i feel that alot of guys who in fact shoot alot of does would be hampered because some dont. i know as soon as i had to shoot a doe first the first deer im gonna see is gonna be a 200"er LOL. i know alot of guys who will wack a small nubbin or spike in a minute if it qualifies under the 3" limit and many who have. i think the 2 buck limit has helped some. there's so many things to be considered in managing a deer herd the size of illinois's. we need a team of properly trained and educated whitetail bioligists spread across the state.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:28 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

the first thing this state needs to do is hire a bioligist to head up the dnr instead of one of the governer's friends who just likes helicpter rides. quit allowing beauracrats from chicago who are more concerned with lining they're pockets than managing our resources to make the calls. bring back check stations, hire more officers, do more field work.
You have my vote, howhill1![:)]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:39 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

the 2nd season to muzzle loader doe only has my intrigue. i know ive usually filled my archery tags by this time. i would also like to hear a bioligists point of view. i not real fond of the earn a buck. i feel that alot of guys who in fact shoot alot of does would be hampered because some dont. i know as soon as i had to shoot a doe first the first deer im gonna see is gonna be a 200"er LOL. i know alot of guys who will wack a small nubbin or spike in a minute if it qualifies under the 3" limit and many who have. i think the 2 buck limit has helped some. there's so many things to be considered in managing a deer herd the size of illinois's. we need a team of properly trained and educated whitetail bioligists spread across the state.
I have had the same problem in years past, I'd be hunting the "doe" only season, and have had to pass on really nice 160" class bucks. I still think "doe" only is good for management, but maybe the dnr should allow a point rule on bucks as well, for the added "doe" seasons.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:53 am

i know shelbyville corps ground has imposed an 8pt rule in some areas. not real sure how well its working or how it was recieved. im not real crazy about tellin others what size deer they should shoot, i guess im afraid of discouraging a new hunter. i think the doe inly seasons are great, anyone who doesnt want to be restricted  to doe's need not apply.personally im not going to shoot an immature buck, i dont expect everyone to hold themselves to that standard, thats my choice. fortunatly i think that the boom to deer hunting has had some positves in the sense that more people are intrested in qdm of some sort now. after giving some more thought to runnig a doe seaso through muzzle loader i guess isnt real fair to the frontstuffers. they're already gettin the ltest season as it is. perhaps if it ran the week after muzzleloader.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:03 am

what he stae maed last year

where does it all go???

last year the dnr registered 192,864 deer killed last year. thats firearm, archery, and muzzleloader. at $15 a pop thats $2,892,960. thats just the tags that were filled. spring turkey brought in 15,792 birds at the applicable rate thats $236,880. none of this is figuring non resident fees, license ,habitat stamps, duck stamps, fishing license's,or the many other fees and charges the dnr gets for various activites around the state. wheres it going? at a time when we should be at an all time peak for illinois outdoor opportunities our dnr seems to be falling apart.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:12 am

From my understanding , the state puts alot of the dnr produced money into non-dnr related state programs. Then of course the dnr rasies the prices for hunters to make more money for the state.[&o]

Next

Return to Illinois