lightning bolt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
vipermann7

lightning bolt

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 pm

if i could run as fast as that Jamaican guy in the olympics, i would chase all my deer down on foot.

danesdad

RE: lightning bolt

Postby danesdad » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Are there many deer in Jamaica?  If not, I can see why.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:51 am

You are not going to believe this.  I'm 6'4" and at the time I was over 250 lbs. I was always the biggest kid in school, and the one they always laughed at in gym.  I always came in last in the 50 yard dash.   However, once I actually out ran a deer. 

In 1996, I took off the opening day of Ohio Modern Weapons season to go hunting.  I had a new Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel, and Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 scope.  I was putting Brenneke 2 3/4" slugs into the same hole at 50 yards. I was feeling mighty ready.

The morning hunt had ended abruptly when I started taking incoming fire from the neighbors. I was up in a treestand  on the far side of a creek, about 150 yards from where it turned out the neighbors had posted three hunters.  The sun came up, a small herd of does came trotting through between us.  The neighbors had no idea i was there.  When the action started I was directly in their line of fire.  Luckily I had a stout oak tree between me and them.  One shot took off a branch a few feet from my head.  The deer took off.  The shooting stopped.  I yelled, got not response, and quickly unhooked the stand and beat it out of there.

It was now the afternoon. I had repositioned myself on the same side of the creek as the neighbors. I was sitting on a tall stump at the intersection of several tractor paths.  One cut across the field behind me.  Another was along the creek.  Another came up from the creek itself.  There was one that separated the treeline of the woods along the creek from a stand of saplings that was what was left of the farmer's experiment at building a tree farm.  They were a thick stand of inch to two inch maple, sweet gum and sycamore trees that had been planted in rows about 50 yards long and the whole patch was about 30 yards wide.

I heard nothing more from the neighbors.  My guess was that they might have moved after hearing me call to them that morning.  I started sitting about 3 PM and was going to stay there until dark.  It might not have been the best setup, but I was surely not going to get back up in an elevated stand with the neighbors habits as they were.  This was a good spot. The wind was in my face, I was slightly elevated off the creek bottom. I was inside the treeline. I had a couple of trees breaking up my outline. My guess was that deer would come one direction or the other along the creek and feed in the bottom just before dark.

Along about 4:30 I got a funny feeling and turned to see  a large doe standing about 5 yards behind me. She had come down the tractor path behind me, and was standing on the edge of the stand of saplings, just on the other side of the crossing path. She bolted before I could bring my shotgun around. She ran into the saplings.

I got off the stump and followed the crashing.  I had fifty yards to cover. The doe was about ten feet into the saplings and was having a slow go of it.  I had a clear path.  I made it to the end of the row a second or two ahead of her.  She popped out of the saplings into the opening about six feet in front of me.  I let her cross the tractor path and run through a hole in the barbed wire fence on the far side while I brought my shotgun up.  I got the crosshairs on her back and  . . .

. . .  the slug buried itself in a six-inch locust trunk.  The doe crashed through the brush and disappeared.  I was in a perfect position to shoot again, but it was also the perfect position to fire back into the section of woods where the neighbors had been posted in the morning. 

It was over.  It was not long before dark.  I had probably queered the whole area with all the ruckus, but I was happy. On the way back to the stump, I realized I had actually outrun a deer on the fifty yard dash.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:24 am

heard a story about guy bulldogging a wounded deer  to the ground  around shelbyville several years back.  id have payed admission for that one. IF it happened.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:47 am

yeah that guy is crazy fast! phelps is faster than any fish alive, this is just really cool to watch. I wish I could see it live instead of on tv. These people/fish are just amazing at what they do.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:25 pm

My little brother almost got married to a hound because of something like that.....(no booze involved and a real hound of the 4 legged varaity)  We were making a deer drive my dad and I, down a long pin oak flat when we heard a shot in front of us and then the hounds hit the trail and opened up.  We had a hand held cb with us and we called our standers to see what the situation was.  As it turned out my brother had popped a doe up out of her bed and shot at her and missed.....then for some reason when the dogs came to investigate and hit the hot scent he took off running with them?  (He doesnt even know why now much less at the time)  anyways ....I still remember the radio call...." There goes the deer .  Its a doe.  She's heading for the power line. Here come the dogs......wait a minute here comes Ryan.  Ryan is in front of the dogs!  ya'll ain't gonna belive this!  Ryans out running them dogs!"   and he did too.... right up until the time he figgered on jumping a 3 foot creek that was closer to 5ft across.  We never did get a shot off on that old doe...everybody was laughing too hard fishing the boy out of the creek...

Dad turned around and looked at me and said  " well I guess if we're ever gonna have any speed around here we'll have to breed your brother into the pack"  I told him I wanted nothing to do with that courtship![:D]

Coincidentally the boy's second marrying off sprang from my hunting dogs....  It started out with a high vet bill from a hound of mine and a cute vet....I told him (my brother) to see if he could work somthing out for me....now I've got a niece and a nephew and a high vet bill.[:)]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:44 pm

I'd pay to see shaman run the 50 chasing a doe through brush! Good one! lol [:D] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to General Discussions