FOOD PLOTS-PLANTING EQUIPMENT

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
JBow

FOOD PLOTS-PLANTING EQUIPMENT

Postby JBow » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:08 am

I decided to try and put in a few food plots this year, so I started back in early May with a small disk that a friend loaned me.  It pulled nicely with my Kawasaki 650 Prarrie but it took forever to break through the top layer of grass.  I used "Round-Up", which killed all the grass nicely, but I guess the root system was still intact. After a lot of sweat and hard work, I got the Imperial Whitetail clover to grow, and it is absolutely lush. 
I secured permission from two neighbors who have large tracts of land to hunt on.  They gave me permission to mow and till and plant on certain sections.  I have a Swisher 44" trail mower that I pull with my ATV.  The 14 1/2 HP model.  That is an absolute animal!  They say it goes through up to 1 1/2" trees.  I hacked through some a little larger than that.  It does a real nice job.  After I mowed, I laid down the "Round-Up" again.  I waited a week and tried the disk again.  I absolutely destroyed the poor thing.  Bent the angle iron frame, lost numerous nuts and bolts and twisted the main axle to about 90 degrees.  Time to break out the sledge hammer and head to the hardware store. 
Anyway, after checking a hunting catalog, I came across another item from Swisher.  It is called a "True Plow".  About $150 plus shipping, so I grabbed one.  Let me tell you, this thing is definitely NOT a "True Plow".  It worked, but it took me the better part of two days to put in three more plots.  Granted, they were larger than the first, but what a nightmare.  I ended up making the plots in an oval configuration because I got tired of trying to criss-cross and get the centers.  I put more effort and time into this than I ever would have imagined.  The plots are actually growing nice right now.  Rain came within a day and things pretty much took right off.  I limed and fertalized everything before I put down the seed.  I used my ATV wheels instead of a cultipacker, which I don't have.  I just can't imagine doing this every year.  I busted my butt to get this far.  If that True Plow hadn't started coming apart, I would probably return the thing.  It may be OK on an existing plot with just dirt, but forget breaking ground with it, unless you have a lot of time and money for gas.  You may also get dizzy going in circles for two days straight!
Is there anyone out there who knows of any ground engaging equipment you can purchase for an ATV, other than the commercially marketed all-in-one units?  I don't want to pay 3 grand for one of them.  I thought about getting one of those self-contained 36" pull behind roto-tillers for my ATV, but even they are pricey.  Does anyone make anything like a small one-bottom plow that you can pull with an ATV?  I just need to break the suface, then go at it with the disk(after I repair it). 
If I spend any more money on Deer Hunting prep, my wife is going to kick my butt.  Any suggestions for cheap or reasonable eguipment that really does the job?

Thanks1
JBow       

IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

EatDeer

RE: FOOD PLOTS-PLANTING EQUIPMENT

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:47 am

I use my lawn mower after I burndown with spray, then use my garden tiller to prepare the soil for broadcasting the seed. Then I culti pack with my lawn mower, nothing fancy , but it gets the job done on small 1 acre plots. Someday I'll upgrade to a compact tractor for larger plots, but until then this method has worked for me.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 pm

I usually use a 6ft disc and the JD after spaying ....but needed backhoe so I did this buckwheat plot with the tiller....sprayed.... then just scratched sod off with tiller...... raked lowered...... tines tilled again and picked rocks then granular lime and tilled again...then quick limed...fertalized ...spread buckwheat and tilled on highest(first setting)...over seed clover...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0103.jpg" border="0" alt="new buckwheat plot Aug 08"></a>

<="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0104.jpg" border="0" alt="view from new stand over new buckwheat plot"></a>

Theses are pics of 3wk old buckwheat /rape seed plot

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0116.jpg" border="0" alt="3wk old buck wheat / rape seed plot aug 08"></a>

This is one of my mixed perennial plots....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0124.jpg" border="0" alt="This is my mixed perennial plot"></a>

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:19 am

I use kolpin dirtworks..three poiunt hitch and accerssories...on my polaris atv..i have 7 food plots they work great...but not cheap...this is the result this year...this is a PA buck in three point asrea...for all of you who hunt Pa you know what i'm talking about

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

I use kolpin dirtworks..three poiunt hitch and accerssories...on my polaris atv..i have 7 food plots they work great...but not cheap...this is the result this year...this is a PA buck in three point asrea...for all of you who hunt Pa you know what i'm talking about

Nice Deer!

So Kolpin Dirtworks three point hitch works well?  I've been looking at them, but couldn't decide if it was worth the money.  We've got a KingKutter ATV disc and it's a lot of work to break up ground.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Yes it works great, still have to spray round up and kill weeds but breaks ground well and as long as you use weed killer to control grass i have had clover polots last 3-5 years

it has been worth it, i can get all the plots done in a weekend if i bust my butt, you need the suspension lock, and a tool bar for each implement, to change them quickly..if you don't it will be a pain in the ass

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:42 am

Heres a couple of pics from the plot I showed you in above post....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/newbuckwheatplotsept002.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/newbuckwheatplotsept001.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management