camera flash

trapperDave

RE: camera flash

Postby trapperDave » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I would have thought deer would think of the flash as nothing more than a lightening flash ..........

EXACTLY! Or the flash of headlights thru a woods when a car goes by or turns the corner.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 am

I agree that the flash doesn't scare MOST deer.  I can't tell you the number of times that the second and third picture has a close up of a deer checking out the camera after the flash from the first picture attracted it. 

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:13 am

I dont know why you would want to take the chance of the flash spooking a deer. Just pay the 80 or 100 more for a good  no flash camera and not worry about it... I know from talking to other hunters who use flash cameras who are switching to no flash cameras because they are getting one pic of a big buck during the rut and that is it I have never had that problem... Besides the flash of a camera will attract bears that see it and let me tell ya a bear will do big time damage to your camera...

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:50 pm

no bears around here.   How many bucks do you see during the rut...once?  They are out roaming and getting shot, dont mean the flash scared em.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:34 pm

I have two cameras out and from what I have witnessed the flash does not spook game but does attract theives that steal cameras.  This is my first year with cameras, but on multi-shot setting I do not see deer running off.  Sometimes I see them looking at cam and sometimes they ignore it completely.  I will not claim to know it all but I know what I see.  Most deer I hunt are pressured deer and I hope this helps.  I am from northwest Ohio and most deer are in small woodplots.  Just what I see.  Good luck, Pan

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:24 am

I'm sure others of you have seen pictures such as this, but yesterday after retrieving memory cards from a camera I found two pics of a buck.  He doesn't seem to be alarmed by the flash. Of course, I have no evidence that he won't vacate the area; maybe I'll know more when I get the pics this week.

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras