Backstrap candy

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
Everyday Hunter

Backstrap candy

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:19 am

Last year I took some backstraps and injected them with a marinade, then put them into a freezer bag with more marinade. After two days in the refrigerator, I froze them. I got one out last week and laid it on the grill on a piece of foil so the flame wouldn't dry it out. I cooked it to 140 degrees. After taking it off the grill I covered it with foil for 5 minutes, and then sliced it thin.

I've never had better venison backstraps. It's the easiest and fastest way to do them. From now on, that's the way I'm going to do all of them.

Hope you like it.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

bobow

RE: Backstrap candy

Postby bobow » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:30 am

That sounds like a great idea.  I appreciate sharing the recipe. 

Now all I need are the backstraps to try it with.  [:D]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:20 pm

I forgot to ask, what flavor(s) of marinade do you (and anyone else) use or are your favorites?

I tend to use Worcestershire & soy sauce quite a bit.  I would like to hear what others use.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Here's another one I like to use........

Make a marinade/glaze of olive oil, wostershire sauce, minced garlic (you can add whatever other spices you like) liquid smoke to taste and BROWN SUGAR. It should be fairly thick, so that it's more like a glaze, and that is adheres to the backstraps. I like to put everything in a large ziplock bag so that I can periodically squish it around. I then put it in the refrigerator for AT LEAST a full day (more is better), and then SLOWLY cook it on the grill over indirect heat. I like it medium rare.

The meat will have that rich smokey flavor, plus the sweet crust from the brown sugar simliar to a honey baked ham.

While being outstanding for venison, this also works very well with thick cut pork chops or pork tenderloin.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm

While being outstanding for venison, this also works very well with thick cut pork chops or pork tenderloin.

This sounds tasty.  I am going to try this.

Thanks!

kellory

Re: Backstrap candy

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:54 pm

I may try this one on pork first, it is a lot easier to get. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jacklance

Re: Backstrap candy

Postby jacklance » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:24 am

Everyday Hunter wrote:Last year I took some backstraps and injected them with a marinade, then put them into a freezer bag with more marinade. After two days in the refrigerator, I froze them. I got one out last week and laid it on the grill on a piece of foil so the flame wouldn't dry it out. I cooked it to 140 degrees. After taking it off the grill I covered it with foil for 5 minutes, and then sliced it thin.

I've never had better venison backstraps. It's the easiest and fastest way to do them. From now on, that's the way I'm going to do all of them.

Hope you like it.

Steve

Looks eye candy, definitely want to try this..

Return to Recipes