If it was legal

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
danesdad

If it was legal

Postby danesdad » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:53 pm

If it was legal where you hunt, would you jacklight for deer?

If it was legal where you hunt, would you hunt over bait?

hunter480

RE: If it was legal

Postby hunter480 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:12 pm

No, and no.....

Before doing either of those, I`d rather simply go to the grocery store and buy meat.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:54 am

No.

I would consider the use of bait if I were guiding a hunter with severe limitations (ie. disability, extreem youth or age). Note that I said CONSIDER, which means that I would ask a lot of questions and mull it over deeply. 

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:35 am

i cant elaborate much more on what jph said i agree 100%
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:45 am

No.
And the only bait I would hunt would the natural ones, such as apple trees, or food plots.
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:52 am

i would and have hunted over bait for deer, but bait can be done a lot of different ways. if you establish a bait site that you keep baited year round and you actually divert deer to that spot on a regular basis, i can see why many people wouldnt do that. the few times ive baited, however, were very different. i took about a gallon of shelled corn or a bucket of apples with me when i went to hunt. if deer came out and walked passed it on their way through, all it really did was get them to stop and offer me a better opportunity at an ethical shot. the bait wasnt there long enough for deer to actually make a point of going that direction, all it did was get them to stop, not any different than if you grunt or bleat at them to get them to stop. if i didnt see any deer that night, then the small amount of bait would be cleaned up over night, likely by a single small doe as that's what generally passes through the woods earliest, and other deer aren't hardly aware it was ever there. if you're actually using the bait to change the deers travel habits, i think that isnt quite what you want. but in the manner ive used it, all it really did for me was get deer to stop moving long enough to decide if i wanted to shoot, and then have a better chance at taking an ethical shot without alerting them before the shot. like i said, i only did a few times, and the reason for that is that as i mentioned earlier, its likely a single small doe or yearly deer that will find the bait and clean it up before any other deer come through. thats what happened to me. i never ended up shooting any deer over those tiny bait piles because it was always the yearly deer coming out earliest in the evening that were finding it. they would clean it up in about a minute, and so it had no effect on the deer that came out later. so because of that, i have given that tactic up now, just turned into a waste of time. in fact, there was one time a mature doe came out in time to find it. the corn was right on the trail and when she smelled it she actually made it a point to walk off the trail, around the corn, and then back on the trail once she passed it. so there again, no help to me that night. and im not implying that baiting doesnt work, im just saying for the way i was using it, it didnt work out all that great.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:03 am

let me be the first to state that because i wouldnt opt to employ bait or other tactics i dont mean to condemm anyone for using legal methods for the humane taking of game in they're respective area. i wouldnt bait because ive grown up not doing it because we cant here in il.  if we had had that option i cant say i never would have becuase it would have been more common.(does that make sense?) i know that in places where baiting is legal its is a commonly employed tactic no different than a deer drive here in il.people do all sorts of things different in all sorts of places.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:04 am

its fun when you drink alot of white lightnin'

of course not !
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:57 am

What is "jacklight"?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:31 am

spotlighting is going out at night and shining a spotlight on the deer who tend to freeze and then shoot them,and no i wouldnt do it .too dangerous ,cant see whats beyond the target.as for baiting,i also wouldnt do it out of disease spreading concerns .I also dont condemn anyone who does it when legal to do so
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Best Practices