Sunday Hunting

fasteddie

RE: Sunday Hunting

Postby fasteddie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:43 pm

We have had sunday hunting in New York State for several years now . I don't believe in the Sunday hunting . Sundays are for FOOTBALL ! [8|]   [8|]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 pm

I grew up in New Jersey in the 50's and 60's. At that time, hunting on Sundays was illegal (a throwback to the old "Blue Laws", as ranwin stated), but get this............

It was only illegal on private and state grounds. On a LICENSED HUNTING PRESERVE it was fine and dandy!

I guess they figured that those preserves were for heathens!!!  [:D]

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Hunting on Sundays should be personal choice.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 pm

i am sure those puritians had all week to hunt, i don't and the times have changed since the days of the puritians..divorce rate is 50-60%, people work six days a week and on sundays, life is different, i guess i am a heathen for wanting to hunt on sunday...I think god would understand..i am pretty sure he is a deer hunter!!!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:51 pm

I dont see a problem with hunting on Sundays. I know it's a day of rest, but if it's a day of rest then there should be no working on Sundays and you should spend time at church and with your family.  I hunt in Michigan and luckly they dont have this law. It's sad that some states do. Look at the people who can only hunt the weekends. That only gives them 1 day a week and 4 days a month to hunt. Thats not to much. As for the animals being given a break, COME ON NOW! They have had a 9 month break during the off season!  I enjoy hunting on Sundays and I believe that God would want me to be in the woods hunting and relaxing if I enjoyed it. Thats the way it should be!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

You're not a heathen, you're just a normal guy like the rest of us.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:57 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

You're not a heathen, you're just a normal guy like the rest of us.

(SHHHHHHHHHSSSSSS.......not so loud....I have an IMAGE to uphold!  [;)]  )

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:00 pm

ORIGINAL: Greg Mauser

The Christian Sabbath used to be observed not only with respect to Hunting, but ALL recreation and work. The puritans pulled this doctrine from the Fourth Commandment. Remember back years ago, in the 30s and 40s, when everything shut down on Sunday?

Historic protestant theology would argue that God is unchangeable and His commandments therefore are unchangeable so the Fourth Commandment is still binding (you can't murder people or steal, either - Thou Shalt Not Murder is still binding).

It is interesting to note that while many on the "conservative" side of the aisle scream bloody murder when the courts take the Ten Commandments out of the courts, schools and legal system, many turn around and throw the Ten Commandments out the window in their daily lives or when opening weekend arrives.

Of course, the puritans were definitely deer hunters and were proficient with firearms as they did live off the land much more closely than we do today. For them deer hunting was a necessity while for us it is a pasttime.

Instead of saying, Why can't I hunt on Sunday? The puritans would have asked, God, why do you give us a full six days each week to hunt, when what we really deserve is your wrath?

God`s charactor is unchangable, but God certainly can and does change His commandments. For example, the Commandment that exhorts to keep the Sabbath Holy is referring to Saturday. When Christ appeared, and fulfilled His work on the cross in the New Testiment, the Lords Day, (Sunday), then became the Christian day of worship. Same with ritualistic animal sacriface. Animal sacrifice was critical, since without the shedding of blood, there can be no remission of sin, but when The Lamb of God appeared, Christ, and was slain, animal sacrifice was no longer required, as Christ had paid the penalty of sin for any who would believe on Him. There was also the veil in the temple that was rent, signifying that mankind no longer needed to have the Priests mediate to God for them. Christ became mankinds direct path to God. There are other examples, but the fact is, there have been many changes in God`s plan for mankind once Christ fulfilled His destiny on the cross.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:28 pm

im not going to say i dont hunt on sundays because i do cheat from time to time. but i honestly do try not to. thats my choice . i dont feel that is somthing that should be dictated by government. as ive aged ive come to the conclusion that if the good lord wants me to kill a deer or the deer it will happen and if not it wont no matter what day i hunt. even thought god has a set of rules he expects us to follow he has given us the free will to choose wether or not to do so. he could hardwire us to act and do whatever he wanted. the choice is and should be ours not the government.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Wow, this thread is a theological train wreck! I'll do my best to chime in with my two cents and walk away.

I am deeply religious, but I consider myself to be a regular guy. I enjoy a cold beer and a good joke as much as anyone. I am also keenly aware of what a bad life I have led, and how easily I could fall back into temptation. I am called to be a man of charity. I take that to mean that I should not pass judgement or force my faith onto others. If I truly live it, people will see me and ask to follow.

I do not miss Sunday Mass. Sunday is a day for me to honor God. In addition to the sacrifice at Mass, I honor Him by relaxing and engaging in recreation. Remember the word is re-CREATION! I consider hunting to be consistant with this. So, if my religious and family obligations allow time for it, you bet I'll be in the woods!

I would never support laws that force others to adhere to the traditions of my faith.

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina