What kind of bow does everyone shoot?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

RE: What kind of bow does everyone shoot?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:03 am

2005 Browning Illusion
27 inch draw
58 pounds
Sonic Pro Broadheads 

remington_270

Postby remington_270 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:09 am

I just shot a bow for the first time 2 days ago, i just got a Bear Black Panther from a friend to see if i like it.  55 pound draw, 30 inch draw length. 

It's an old bow and was wondering if anyone would know where i can get an owner's manual.  i called Bear but they don't have it.

Thanks

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:14 pm

you might try ebay
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Remigton funny story about how you cant find one for that bow.. this just reminds me of it.. My uncle was given a Hoyt bow by his work when he left. Well it's been a few years and he called Hoyt to ask a few questions about the bow, and they have never heard of that bow before. Kinda strange huh?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Diamond Liberty   (aka Lady)
Ripcord drop away rest
Vital B 3-pin sight
CE maxima 250's topped with Rage 2-blades and capped with Lumenocks
Blazer Quickspin ST's for the fletching
Tru-ball release
30" draw set @ 57 pounds

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 am

08 Diamond Marquis
66 pounds 28.5 draw
Gold tip ultralight pro arrows- twister fletchings
Rage 2 blade broadheads
scott release
tru glo range rover sight
wisker biscuit rest

its a great bow along with just about every other bow made today!
good luck this season!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:42 am

I noticed something as I read the responses here. My draw length and weight are greater than most of the posters (29" and 70 lbs.). I find that odd b/c at 5'8" and 170 lbs., I assume I am smaller than average.

I shoot with a release and a string loop. My anchor point is with my thumb locked behind my neck.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should post the question in the archery section?

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:59 pm

JPH, at 70 lbs. you probably do pull more weight than most of the rest of us.  I may get in trouble here for assuming but I am willing to bet you are also one of the younger.  A lot of us old guys (no offense to anyone) have dealt with enough injuries and bone chilling cold days in the field that we have reduced our poundage through the years.

I am down to 60 lbs. and loving it.  I can shoot better and more due to less strain on my shoulder.  Unless you are hunting rhino or cape buffalo, you have more than enough poundage for anything you are going to be shooting at.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:32 pm

i shot a mathews drenalin with carbon express arrows with muzzy phantom broad head. i really like the bow shoots good and the arrows last a long time compared to some arrows i have shot. the broad head is so good i get a clean passthough every time i shot an animal.

i hunt wisconsin and illinois

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:40 pm

ORIGINAL: djohns13

JPH, at 70 lbs. you probably do pull more weight than most of the rest of us.  I may get in trouble here for assuming but I am willing to bet you are also one of the younger.  A lot of us old guys (no offense to anyone) have dealt with enough injuries and bone chilling cold days in the field that we have reduced our poundage through the years.

I am down to 60 lbs. and loving it.  I can shoot better and more due to less strain on my shoulder.  Unless you are hunting rhino or cape buffalo, you have more than enough poundage for anything you are going to be shooting at.

Good shooting.

At 6'4". and 235 lbs, and at the ripe old age of 51, I`m pulling 70 lbs with a 31" draw. It should be more, but it`s the most my AR-34 can be set at.

You`re correct, in that, 60 lbs is PLENTY to kill a white-tail. The extra poundage is great, especially shooting carbon arrows, for a flatter shooting trajectory, meaning, possibly only one pin out to 30 yardsw.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions