motorbreaker

Omish ?

Postby motorbreaker » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:32 am

I live in southern Highland county, The 5 hundred acres behind me
sold to the omish, 5 familys of them.
I stoped and talked to one of them, Steven, He said there was
23 hunters in there group, And that they shoot anything, Button
bucks, small bucks, It didnt matter.
I was wondering if anyone had any exsperence with them.
Any chance of them letting the little ones go? Jake

gunther89

RE: Omish ?

Postby gunther89 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:41 am

I live and hunt in Wisconsin and we have amish neighbors next to our land.  They will shoot anything and I mean anything that walks.  We had a guy shoot a fawn with spots because it was a deer and he wanted venison.  Another amish by us shot 21 deer in one season.  Good luck with them.  You will see a decline in deer for sure.
Scott

gltomp

Postby gltomp » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I hunt with an Amish man... on his land, and we practice selective harvesting (I even stay at his home the evening before opening morning). We don't always shoot the first buck we see and we usually wait on taking a doe until the last week of the season. He and I most generally harvest a buck and a mature doe each year. The Amish family that has property adjoining his is also selective in their taking of deer, using the same philosophy.

I'd say talk to the elders and befriend them. Open a dialog and state your case for letting the little ones go; I'm sure they'll listen to you. I'm positive if you are cordial and open, you can facilitate conclusions that will be a win-win for all.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I also live and hunt in Wisconsin. The amish around my land have the motto "if it's brown it's down." It can be quite ridiculous at times because they take out so many deer. Especially if you have 5 families hunting near your land... The future of the population in your area does not look good. It will most likely decline as they could possibly shoot deer to feed their whole family. It seems that my amish neighbors only eat venison and nothing else because they shoot so many deer. The amish next to my land last year shot 6 deer and were out until the last day trying to shoot as many deer as they could. So I wish you luck! But let me tell you it is not fun at all. I would suggest talking to them and at least telling them about letting small bucks go. It may help, it may not. But you are at least trying.
Kyle

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:59 am

Motorbreaker, perhaps you could work out an agreement with them. Tell them that buck meat is slightly tougher during the rut and doe's would be much more appitizing. I'd also offer to harvest a few doe's for them if they'd stop shooting little bucks.
But based on the other posts, it doesn't sound good.

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 pm

sorry ! but your prolly out of luck , first off that number will more than likely triple come deer season and they will kill everything and when they have no more deer they will move on to the closest piece of public property they can find and do the same thing there ! around here , nothing good comes from them ! i see them show up on public land around here in overloaded 18 passenger vans , pulling 24 ft enclosed trailers with benches built in them , chock full ! i know there was 50 or 60 of them between the van and the trailer !

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:33 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

Motorbreaker, perhaps you could work out an agreement with them. Tell them that buck meat is slightly tougher during the rut and doe's would be much more appitizing. I'd also offer to harvest a few doe's for them if they'd stop shooting little bucks.

thats funny right there ! they dont care what it taste like ! they have , like a thousand kids to feed !

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:23 am

ORIGINAL: crittergitter

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

thats funny right there ! they dont care what it taste like ! they have , like a thousand kids to feed !

yep, if you ever did work out a deal with them, the cost of arrows and broadheads would probably break you up financially.

mercuryjoe

Postby mercuryjoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:31 pm

The Amish are no different than anybody else. They do tend to hunt more as a percentage because they dont have Tv to watch. LOL
But seriously they are like any other hunters some will shoot anything and some are trophy hunters. I think you are in trouble just because of the sheer numbers of them that will now hunt your area.
Joe

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

I would have to say it depends on where you are. The Amish that have picture perfect farms and buildings tend to be more progressive and may even be into QDM. The Amish that have buildings cobbled together and live in a converted pole shed are more likely to shoot anything that moves. That's the kind we have in WI, at least what I've seen. I know a bunch of local hunters were making a hubbub about them getting lots of ag permits so they could shoot more deer, out of season and for free, even though they had no deer damage. Also some pick up roadkill and have signs in their yards wanting any unwanted deer.
Ducks

Next

Return to Ohio