If it was legal

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: If it was legal

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Illinois is a no-bait state, and not only for hunting.

Due to CWD, they have also banned ANY kind of artificial feeding of deer. This means homeowners in residential areas, or any other type of do-gooder, and extends to mineral and salt blocks as well.

That raises a very good point. I know a lot of guys who put out winter feeders and such. Personally, I have even gone so far as to remove mineral blocks and such from my property b/c I am concerned about this.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:09 am

[size="3"]Illinois is a no-bait state, and not only for hunting. [/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Due to CWD, they have also banned ANY kind of artificial feeding of deer. This means homeowners in residential areas, or any other type of do-gooder, and extends to mineral and salt blocks as well.[/size]
same thing here
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:56 am

living here in il. i understand the reasons for no more mineral or feed supplementation and no longer use these. why is it then that stores stock complete aisles of these products for sale?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

living here in il. i understand the reasons for no more mineral or feed supplementation and no longer use these. why is it then that stores stock complete aisles of these products for sale?

The same reason they build fireworks stands along the border.[;)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

You can buy a rifle and ammo for it in Illinois as well, although you can't hunt deer with it here.  What's the difference? The PRODUCT isn't against the law, only the USE of it is under certain circumstances.

That's where it differs from fireworks.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 am

You can buy a rifle and ammo for it in Illinois as well, although you can't hunt deer with it here.  What's the difference? The PRODUCT isn't against the law, only the USE of it is under certain circumstances.

Your example doesn`t address the issue that started this line of questioning.....the sale of mineral blocks when they aren`t lawful to use in Illinois.

The real point is, that just like the hunting industry, any industry will do whatever they can to increase sales and profits, regardless of legality and harm to their market.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:06 pm

they can sell it because the product is not illegal,maybe your buying them to use out of state.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:58 pm

Apparently a simple "[;)]" was not enough to convey the tounge-in-cheek nature of my remark.

I was implying that there is a large market in selling to those who will use them illegaly. Just like fireworks vendors selling their wares to border crossers from states where they are illegal. If it wasn't for those buyers, they would put the stands elseware.

If they can fill an entire isle with mineral blocks that are illegal in your state, I find it hard to believe that they are catering to people who plan on buying them there and hauling them to another state.

But what would I know? I don't run a sporting goods store.[;)][;)][;)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:59 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

[quote]ORIGINAL: howhill1

Your example doesn`t address the issue that started this line of questioning.....the sale of mineral blocks when they aren`t lawful to use in Illinois.

The real point is, that just like the hunting industry, any industry will do whatever they can to increase sales and profits, regardless of legality and harm to their market.
[/quote]

But they ARE legal to use in Illinois....just not for deer. I have horses on my place, we use them in the pastures, and it's perfectly legal. Same with cattle. Now how you PREVENT deer form using them is a whole 'nother issue, as putting up signs would be a waste of time, as deer can't read.......

A .30-.06 rifle isn't legal to use for deer in Illinois either, but you can still buy one here.

What's the difference? To me, they would have to ban the POSSESSION of any mineral block in Illinois to make this stick. But they haven't, just the USE of them with deer.

It's a gray area.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: howhill1

Apparently a simple "[;)]" was not enough to convey the tounge-in-cheek nature of my remark.

I was implying that there is a large market in selling to those who will use them illegaly. Just like fireworks vendors selling their wares to border crossers from states where they are illegal. If it wasn't for those buyers, they would put the stands elseware.

If they can fill an entire isle with mineral blocks that are illegal in your state, I find it hard to believe that they are catering to people who plan on buying them there and hauling them to another state.

But what would I know? I don't run a sporting goods store.[;)][;)][;)]
[/quote]

Oh...I understood the nuance, JPH, but if they are that concerned about it, then they have to make the POSSESSION and SALE of mineral blocks in Illinois illegal.

Otherwise, those selling them, and buying them haven't done a darn thing wrong until they put them in the woods and a deer comes along.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices