Rut Prediction

bullwinkle

Rut Prediction

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Charles A predicted Nov 10-18th as the best week to be in the woods. From our perspective:

Nov 3-6 was very hot - probably our best days. One of our group actually saw a doe be bred on 11/3 so we had some does go in early. We had encounters every day on large bucks.

The snow storm and related cold weather shut it down 11/8-11/9. The deer were moving hard during the snow storm but once it got cold, the woods got very noisy and the deer shutdown.

11/11-11/15 was also very productive in our area. We saw another doe being bred on the 12th.

Gun season there was chasing by small bucks but very few big bucks were involved. I would guess they were locked down. A friend down by Wild Rose saw a big buck bred a doe opening morning. The buck finished the job and is now at the taxidermist.

I think Charles prediction was somewhat accurate. If we would not have had the snow storm, I wonder if the 3rd -10th would have been the best. It seems like the 2nd-10th is always the best in NE Wisconsin?

Jslotter

Re: Rut Prediction

Postby Jslotter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 pm

I didn't get out everyday this season, but I saw the best activity on 9th, 10th, and 11th. I hunt west-central WI. Bucks were out looking for estrus does on those days, but did not see any does being pursued. In fact, I seen a mature doe on the 9th and she wasn't being followed at all. Gun season arrived and nothing... Seemed like the activity shut down in my area.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Dan Salmon

Re: Rut Prediction

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Gun Season was a bust for our group. We did get a single doe, but not a lot of other sightings. We hunt the northern portion of Unit 41. The last report from the local watering hole Big Buck contest was that a 3 pointer was going to be taking home the $400+ pot this year, that was as of Saturday night, I didn't check before leaving today to see if that had changed.

There was a complete lack of sign in the woods at all this year and very little movement during the season. Although, the couple guys that bait around us were getting their baits hit hard each night.

Return to Wisconsin