HELP......WANT TO TRY MUZZLELOADER

SCHINK

HELP......WANT TO TRY MUZZLELOADER

Postby SCHINK » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 am

Seeing the season is 10 days long......was thinking about running out and getting one..........been looking and trying to figure out a good but CHEAPER END muzzleloader......CVA looks like a pretty good choice ?????......ANY HELP ?????

Thanks allot guys

SCHINK
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Jimbo

Re: HELP......WANT TO TRY MUZZLELOADER

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Have you considered buying a used gun? Gander Mt usually has a pretty good selection.
Or, do you know anybody that has a muzzleloader but won't be hunting this year...maybe you could borrow it?
My experience is that although the gun is the major investment, the other stuff--powder, sabots, cleaning tools, etc--add up quickly.
Good luck.....

Jimbo

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:58 pm

CVA Optima is a good, reliable choice. I would love to get something much better, but in reality it wasn't worth the money. I threw a scope on mine, and use 2 Triple 7 powder pellets. The open sights are already accurate the biggest pain about the muzzleloader is cleaning it, and how much you actually have to do. That's just the way it is.

Good luck.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

jonboy1984

Postby jonboy1984 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:52 pm

my step dad got a CVA couple years ago for christmas, he has been talkin about actually hunting with it for the 1st time this year. His gun came with a instructional DVD which was very helpful...... Get an instructional DVD on using a muzzleloader..........

tbonecpa

Postby tbonecpa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:01 pm

CVA Wolf or Optima are good, cheap choices, especially with a 3-9 scope. Powder pellets and SST bullets with ML 209 primers plus
some range time and you are ready to go. Figure $400 for all of it. I like mine so much that I use it during regular gun season too.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:08 am

"the biggest pain about the muzzleloader is cleaning it, and how much you actually have to do. That's just the way it is."

Yup, and don't do a half-ass job at it either. Clean em often and cleam em well.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks allot for the help guys.......STILL THINKING about spending the money or not.........
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Chainsaw

Postby Chainsaw » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:46 am

Schink, I have experience with many muzzleloaders and the best buy in the marketplace in my opinion is the CVA Wolf. www.cva.com If you can find a stainless even better. One poster here made a comment about cleaning the muzzleloader. I have used for two years now Blackhorn 209 blackpowder substitute as a propellant. This will allow you to load many shots without cleaning or swabbing the barrel. I shoot, open the action and discard the spent primer, close the action and load. That is it, no swabbing, no spit patch, no hard pushing a bullet down the barrel, no crud ring in the barrel. Add a new primer and your are ready to shoot again.

Also found that Federal 209A primers make the muzzleoader go bang everytime in any weather. It is the best we have tested and the 209A worked 100%.

Clean up is easy as well. With no charge in the barrel, open the action remove the breechplug and clean it. Clean the barrel with Hoppes or similar and dry the barrel out. A very small amountof synthetic grease(I use Tetra brand) on the beginning of the breechplug threads(but not on the end) reinstall breechplug and you are ready to go. Before loading again when you are going to start shooting, I fire off a primer to dry everything out in case grease or oil is lingering in the plug or barrel.

BTW my muzzleloaders are both the now discontinued NEF Sidekick.

Return to Wisconsin