2011 PA Season

kellory

Re: 2011 PA Season

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 pm

bmstaaf wrote:Never found it...Dang..: I am going to take a second and let off steam...who the heck walks 70 yards from you an hour after shooting light and kicks out ten deer right under you....an idiot in my hunting party..the deer continue to cross the road along with 4 more...so 14k deer off the property gone after the first 2 hours of the pa season..

I will bet you wanted to strangle him! Sounds a bit like what happened to me a few years ago on public lands. Several hunters on stands all down a valley, in good kill positions, and at first light some idiot goes walking right down the middle, walking and whistleing, while scouting for tracks! I though I could hear teeth grinding from the nearest stand hunter! Some people just don't THINK! :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Yea don't think is correct! Still turning out to be ok..sat for the better part of the day today and saw a 7 and a spike...ended up seeing a 4 and two day after idiot pushed most ir the deer out...on a better note but sad for me the neighbor came over with his cam pictures.. 3 monster 8's an 11 and a 12...for me I had a few cameras out all season...my hotspot camera I let be all season I went to check my pics, which read 300 inserted into the conputer and wala all gone! Was really hoping to get a glimpse of what my dad hit and the other big boys.. it was an ok year for my cams but nothing sick to talk about...

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:10 am

Finally, a picture of my dads buck that I posted about
Attachments
DSCN1196.JPG
DSCN1196.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1633 times

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Congrats to your dad that's a nice buck!...I went out for an all day sit today didn't see squat! Hear me out on this I hunted 350 acres connecting game lands some a$$hole had a dog chasing deer, I didn't call the game commission but I should have...at first I thought it was an accident then later I see the guy walking with his dog...such bull crap needless to say that dig kicked everything out..u]n[/u]u]o[/u]u]C[/u]

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 am

Sorry to hear about that! Thats rough, its a shame that happened. Due to work, I was in the woods for only a couple hours opening day. Saw 5 does. Hunted Wednesday and Thursday and saw 1 doe. Im off this week wed, thurs, fri and sat... So im hoping to get out and fill my tags! Good luck to the rest of you guys!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:49 am

My season just got worse, a few friends wanted deer meat so I decided I take a deer for them..four doe come out of on thicket headed directly into another about 200 yards away...I decided to use the 243 for just that reason fast shooting flat gun..I rest my gun on my knee debating to shoot...I am steady as can be confident, all I have is a chest shot through the opening...squeeze it off bang felt amazing I knew nothing went wrong...I give it thirty minutes and walk up there...heck yea that deer is dead blood sprayed everywhere lung matter in the blood, no guts clean shot right in the chest...I start looking blood everywhere for the first 50 yards then......nothing....drop here drop there to a stop...I could see the leaves kicked up so o was following them...bam run into the thickest of thick and can't find her...I have help coming today so hoping someone steps on her...ugh I feel sick...only thing I can think of is not exit would the high blood drained then the chest cavity filled up blocking the entrance...

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Is the ground soft enough to take a print? Can you track her? Leaves are a good indication, but not all you have to go on, Think like a deer. She is hurt. She will run or hide. Is there water nearby? Deer often run toward water when hurt. At the point you lost the blood, she may have doubled back or turned, check for tracks, transfer on brush, grasses or bushes that look pushed through. If the area is a tough as you say, she will be struggling too, so watch for transfer (hair and blood) her prints will be deeper because of the effort, and she will leave more trace than in the open. Get up in the air by climbing a tree or a climber and look from above. Watch for birds as they like the soft parts(eyes) and even a house dog on a leash would likely find her before your nose would. If all else fails, there is always a grid search. Good luck, you will find her.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:11 pm

I followed the kicked up leaves, then I lost them due to a million kicked up leaves from all the deer being pushed...I did walk the creek and doubled back to see if she did that...I am going to try the grid search it is just super thick...we kick deer out of this parcel usually holds about 20 they wrap around and go right back in it...its prob a 40 acre lot with brush, goldenrod, briars ect..its got paths through the whole thing for pushing so I spend 4 hours walking that...I will try to get elevated, and spread people out...keep ya updated..quote]V
[/quote]

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania