Estrus Scent

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
tonybow

Estrus Scent

Postby tonybow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:06 pm

What do y'all think about using doe estrus scent AFTER the primary rut? I understand that a percentage of the does will go into estrus about a month after the primary rut. Would this mean waiting to use that scent for a month? , or using it during and following the primary rut, hoping to "trick" a buck who is still seeking does that have not yet been bred? Do the bucks need a rest, or will some respond to an estrus scent that they smell just after the primary rut, or do I have to wait until next month to use it?

Deebz

Re: Estrus Scent

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm

I've always used estrus after the main rut is over... Seems like everything I've heard or read about it says that there is always the chance that there will be a few does that either didn't get bred and go into a second cycle, or are simply later than the rest of the herd to begin the cycle... and if you think about it, it makes perfect sense that a buck who's been breeding does for the last week or two would definitely check it out if he catches a whiff of an estrus doe...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Estrous.

I use estrous from early Sept through early Jan.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:30 pm

How do you KNOW it's estrous scent? Because it says so on the bottle?

From what I've learned about the deer urine industry, the only way I would know for sure if it was estrous lure is if I saw it come out of the deer!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Cut N Run

Re: Estrous Scent

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:42 pm

I have seen active, open scrapes in late January in an area with an unbalanced buck/doe ratio before. There can't be very many receptive does by that time, though bucks are more than willing to breed anytime they can. Sometimes the first attempt doesn't take and the doe will cycle until she is successfully bred. I took my lifetime best buck following a hot doe in December. There's no reason the think an estrous scent might not help you. Probably, the trick would be to find a lightly pressured buck to use it on that is still roaming around during daylight hours, which doesn't happen around here very much.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

tonybow

Postby tonybow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 am

Jim, when you say "an unbalanced buck/doe ratio", do you mean too many does? If that is the case, would a buck even have to try and leave any sign like that? i would think(maybe I'm thinking too much) the buck would just have to just hang around and approach the does, as they show themselves!! In other words, there is little or no competition from other bucks, so he doesn't have to work so hard. Also, any idea why I'm seeing rubs, but not many scrapes?

Return to Best Practices