spooked by flash camera

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
tonybow

spooked by flash camera

Postby tonybow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 am

Is it really true that deer are spooked by the white flash of some trail cameras, thus the rapid growth in sales of infrared flash trail cameras? It just seems to me that that white flash isn't much different than the lightening that goes along with the numerous thunder storms that deer experience(without consequences) their entire lives. Anyone want to chime in about their experience using both types of cameras?

pgchambers

Re: spooked by flash camera

Postby pgchambers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm

We actually got rid of our IRs, because we weren't happy with the pictures they were taking. There may be some deer spooked by the flash, but my experience has shown that it is not very many. I personally watched a couple of fawns this year at dusk jump when the flash went off, but they then went over and smelled the camera instead of running away. The older deer in the field at the time just ignored the whole thing. Our four biggest bucks on camera this year all kept coming back to the scrapes we were set up on, and most of our pictures are at night, so they obviously weren't too concerned about the flash.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm

I've actually noticed flash becoming more popular again. Even being made by a company or 2 that only did IR in the past. There's nothing like good color pics of those deer and other animals. IR's supposedly "spook" deer as well. Even the so-called "black flash"...which seem to take some of the worst pics.

Having said all that..here are some pics from my Cuddeback Attack. Obviously the buck either didn't notice or care about the IR. Notice the times..I had it set for a 15 sec delay.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:28 pm

pgchambers wrote:We actually got rid of our IRs, because we weren't happy with the pictures they were taking.

I feel the same, poor night time pics. I have 4 Cuddybacks that I couldn't be happier with. great day and night pics. Last Dec, my Son gave me a Bushnell IR camera. Great day time pics, but can't stand those IR night shots. Very dissapointing.

For the question of being spooked, Not a problem. Sometimes it seems like some deer are HAMS or just plain attracted to it. I remember hearing, at one time, or read it somewhere that bucks were afraid and avoided areas with flash cams. I've got a lot of pics of the same deer ( all ages and all sizes) over a lengthly time, and it doen't seem to bother them.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Up until recently we always ran cameras with flashes. We do not now, because most are sold as IR. But we never noticed deer being spooked by the flash, and they do give better pictures. On two occassions I have taken pictures of deer in the field with a hand held camera, and those deer than came toward where my camera flashed.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 am

I think the flash cameras are more noticeable to deer, But after they get used to it, Its not a big
deal to them. I did have a big buck a few years back that would not go near a flash cam after
getting his pic taken . I would move the camera, And the buck would move to the next trail over
after getting his pic took.
Its been a while since ive used a flash cam, They take better pics, But the battery life seems
to be a lot shorter.
Jake

willypete

Postby willypete » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm

I have deer that get spooked by the tiny little light that shows it took a picture on a IR...well i guess not spooked because they walk up to it and look at it for a little while.

Yes it true they could get spooked by a flash. But this usually doesn't affect them avoiding the area or anything like that. And they usually get spooked by it more often in the rut and do even think of it that much

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm not going to quote all of the pictures that Oakarver posted but to answer the question, Deer are not freaked out by flash cams. If they were, you would never see multiple shots of the same deer over and over like in Oakarver's pictures. Just equate it to thunderstorms with lightning.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:14 am

The only differences I see are IR's are great on batteries ...and bad at night pics....other than that...they all look at the cameras IR or Flash
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 am

SPAMMER
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to Best Practices