New to hunting.

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
mag30079

RE: New to hunting.

Postby mag30079 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:58 am

Welcome ScootD

I just wanted to say hello, I myself know nothing about food plots. I did see a commercial for magic carpet food plot that grows quickly, so the ad said. I'm sure the people in the QDM forum can tell ya everything you want to know.

Good luck and happy hunting

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:50 am

Bio Logic is always a good choice, I dont really do much planting around here because the land we own is a long ways away. What you can do is go to your local hunting store and they will have books on this kind of stuff. You can even talk to one of the specialiest there, they will tell you everything you want to know.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ScootD

New to hunting.

Postby ScootD » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:22 pm

My name is Scott and I am fairly new to the sport of whitetail hunting. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on setting up a food plot for a very low amount of money. I live on 20 acres and about 85% of it is thick woods and about 5% is an open field where I was looking to start my plot. I have my ground blind, in which I use for gun season and I also have my tree stand used for bowhunting set up in the woods near a swampy area, that is also next to a field used for radio towers with about a 7 foot fence surrounding it. What I was wondering though is if there is a fairly inexpensive way to start a food plot in the field that I have my gun blind set up. The area I live in is in the city of New Boston which is about 30 mins. north of the ohio border about 10 miles from 275. The deer activity here is pretty good considering the fact that a lot of sub-divisions are going up in the area, but that just makes it better for me because it is pushing the deer onto my land. Right now I am using the old school style of baiting which is putting the corn or other baits directly on the ground. I have seen many tracks and other signs of big bucks in the area but with there being so much open land I would like to localize them to stay very close to my property. So if any of you that reads this has any ideas on how to set up a food plot for very cheap then please let me know, you input will be very much appreciated. I am also going to add a picture of a doe I got from my trail cam about a week ago and maybe you guys can tell me how she looks. Thanks to all of you and good luck in the upcoming season

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Number one, welcome. You can learn a ton on this forum. I know I have.

Number two, keep things simple and believe very little of what you see in advertizing. Food plots are not the end all, be all of deer hunting. Thay are nice, but do not expect them to keep them on your property.

Number three, get away from the bait piles. They pose some serious deer health concerns and are considered to be bad form by many deer hunters. Not to mention that they may be illegal in Ohio. I don't know.

Now to cheap and easy food plot advice:
I would begin in early spring. Apply roundup to the area or burn it off. Next till it up using a 4-wheeler and disk, or a rear-tine garden tiller. Once the ground has been worked up you can broadcast by hand. I would go with a simple clover blend. You can have some mixed up at your local co-op and it will be a lot cheaper. If you tell them the size of your plot, they will know how much seed you need. Once the seed is down, run over it a few times with an old piece of chain link or a rake. From there, you just need to mow it to 6"-8" every 40-50 days.

Good luck!

ScootD

Postby ScootD » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice JPH it is greatly appreciated. First thing I ned to tell you, which I should have done before, is that I live in MI. Second I understand the risks of using a bait pile especially after the buck was found with cwd in the northern western part of the state. The main reason I would like to do a food plot is not to keep them on my land but to keep them coming back for better hunting experiences. The area I hunt in is not overly populated but has the potential to not only benefit myself but also the other hunters in the area. There are only a select hunters that I know of around me and to my knowledge none of them have gotten a buck in quite some time. Another reason I would like to establish a food plot is because to the north east of me is a farm that used to be used for sod farming. The deer activity in those fields was like something I have never seen before, don't get me wrong it was nothing like on a 120 acre farm or anything but it was enough to get me interested in hunting again. Like I said in my previous post there are many signs of big bucks on my property and I would like the chance to take one if not two this hunting season. Also something that I don't like to share is that I missed a nice size 8 point last year with my shotgun. Now I know the odds of me seeing him again are not great but from the tracks that I have seen and the size of the couple of scrapes that I have seen I know that he is still out there. The doe activity is great on my little 20 acres, which I should mention is only 360 yards wide, but if the does are there then I know that the bucks are not to far behind. Another thing about the area that I hunt is last year around February my wife and I saw about 6 decent size bucks in a field that is used for growing corn and other crops. The cemetary that we live kind of close to also has a field where we see at least 10-12 deer on the nights we drive by at like two in the morning. So I guess what I am getting at is like I said I know that I am not going to keep them on my property but I would like to draw those does in closer in order to get the big buck that I am after. One more thing before I quit rambling, the main reason I posted here and asked for help creating a "cheap" food plot is because I have none of the tools required to till up the soil. I also do not have the money at the moment to purchase a whole lot to get the things needed in order to do exactly what is needed. The closest thing I have to anything that could help me is a neighbor that has the machinery I need but I do not know if he would help me out because he is also a hunter. So if you have any tips on how to create a food plot without those machines that would be great or anyone that reads this has any ideas on what I can do please feel free to reply to this post. Thanks again and good luck in the upcoming season. Oh yeah what do you think about the pictures of the doe in my original post.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:25 pm

I do not own any equipment either. I have rented a garden tiller in the past. They are pretty cheap to rent. But I have had had better luck working favor trades with neighbors and friends who do own equipment. I'd bet your neighbor would be willing to help. Like you said, a small plot wont keep the deer off of his place.

As for your doe. She looks nice. She'll look even better once she starts to pack on her winter weight. If you are new to this, I'd target her. The big buck thing is cool, but don't get hung-up on it.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 pm

the best bait for that buck you want is that doe.talk to your neighbor you may have a common intrest in food plots you already share hunting so its a good ice breaker.they sell no plow no till food plot seed.welcome to the site ,welcome to  hunting
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:57 am

Cheap food plot.

Using Roundup or another complete kill herbicide is a good idea, but they tend to be a bit expensive now days.  Just FYI - after we kill vegetation for a plot we then burn it, but you need to be very careful if that is part of the plan.

Whatever you do you will need to get at minimum bare soil.  Use a leaf blower, weed whip, or garden rake to get rid of leaf litter and other debris.  If you've got a push lawn mower take it to the plot, set it at the lowest setting and scalp the ground.  Be careful of small trees and other brush.  That should get you to bare earth - but it might also ruin your mower depending upon what you hit. 

Spread some 13-13-13 fertilizer.

Rake up the ground a bit to try to create some lose soil using a garden rake or hoe, this won't be easy - especially on plots 1/4 acre or larger.  A tiller really is the prefered method for those on a budget. 

Winter wheat is usually pretty cheap, also some white and red clover from your local feed store or grain elevator shouldn't break the bank.  Austrian Winter Peas are also inexpensive, but I find deer mow them down before they get much beyond a couple of inches high.

Spread the seed, try to cover it with some soil, and pray for rain.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management