Shot Placement

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
PrairieShadow

RE: Shot placement

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:06 am

ORIGINAL: HiddenHornsRanch

With a bow I use only the clearest shot I get, mainly broadside & leg forward...with a gun I will aim for the white patch on a does neck=quick fall without out messing up most of the meat, on the other hand I will take a shoulder shot on a buck, and still even hope I dont loose him...I hardly ever shoot anyway besides broadside, unless he's just a bruiser...

Why wouldnt a bruiser deserve the same respect as a small buck, doe or fawn for that matter?  It shouldnt matter whether you are shooting a 180" buck or a yearling doe. Both animals deserve the same respect.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:20 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

With a bow I use only the clearest shot I get, mainly broadside & leg forward...with a gun I will aim for the white patch on a does neck=quick fall without out messing up most of the meat, on the other hand I will take a shoulder shot on a buck, and still even hope I dont loose him...I hardly ever shoot anyway besides broadside, unless he's just a bruiser...

Why wouldnt a bruiser deserve the same respect as a small buck, doe or fawn for that matter?  It shouldnt matter whether you are shooting a 180" buck or a yearling doe. Both animals deserve the same respect.

Good point.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:28 pm

I`ve read about the "hump" shot as it`s been called, the shot low on the neck.
ORIGINAL: passin through

With a rifle I like point of shoulder for pretty much instant shut down... It does mess up that meat butIi generally grind my shoulders anyway... With a bow I like the boilerroom broadside or quartering away....With a shotgun shooting Buckshot I like the boiler room again broadside.  I don't care for and generally deride headshots and neck shots ....too many variables can go wrong.  I've taken both shots several times when I was younger and ego got in the way of good sense.  I was lucky and did drop my targets but since then I have been on several tracking missions with the neck shot -- usually with guys that were very good at punching holes in paper but have cleaned very few of their own deer and had/have no clue how that bone runs especially in a rutting buck.  I also had to put down a doe in my back pasture after season a couple years ago that some marksman had blown the jaw off of...starvation ain't pretty.  I've never heard of that hump shot though...  Anways theres my 2 cents...what I do works for me.

Ummmm....the "hump" shot was described earlier.......

"I`ve read about the "hump" shot as it`s been called, the shot low on the neck.".

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I gotta go with the body shot, lung area hit. If you aim for the middle of the lung area (broadside shot), you have plenty of room for error and still make an ethical shot. the margin for error is too great, making the neck shot not very ethical, despite the fact it will put the deer down on the spot if hit just right. the shock of a bullet to neck will do a lot of damage even if the shot doesnt hit the spine, but there's that chance it could get away, and no one wants to take that chance when you can help it.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I would consider a neck shot more ethical just because the animals dies the second its hit...a shoulder shot on the other hand, which I had in one instance, the buck still ran, but it also runs down to which shot you can make at the time...

That doesn't always happen. You can hit one in the neck and have them run away.
From those who much is given, much is expected

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:06 pm

I didnt say a brusier doesnt deserve the same respect, but I would risk a little trickier shot sometimes if I was in a difficult shot placement, dont question my respect on this animal, I have the upmost respect for them, I wouldnt be going into the field I am if I didnt have respect for this animal, or much less anyother other one of God's creatures...and I havent seen a deer run yet when Ive or much less everyone I hunt with, hit that white patch on their throat, with even some particular worse shots that my relatives have pulled off...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:03 pm

I didnt say a brusier doesnt deserve the same respect, but I would risk a little trickier shot sometimes if I was in a difficult shot placement, dont question my respect on this animal, I have the upmost respect for them, I wouldnt be going into the field I am if I didnt have respect for this animal, or much less anyother other one of God's creatures...and I havent seen a deer run yet when Ive or much less everyone I hunt with, hit that white patch on their throat, with even some particular worse shots that my relatives have pulled off...

So by taking a riskier shot how does that not constitute as at the very least a different level of respect for the animal?

A good shot is a good shot, a marginal shot is a marginal shot, and a flat out bad shot is a flat out bad shot irregardless of animal.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Ive argued  my position...I cant type it in the way that I could explain it, I have the upmost respect for whitetails, and I know what I mean...Im not going to type another paragraph and have someone else turn that one around into the complete opposite and turn it agianst me...so if you want it explained find a way for me to put a video on here and I guaruntee you will understand...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:39 am

I prefer a double lung shot whether with a bow or rifle. I've killed 3 deer with a bow, 2 of which ended up being spine shots. Both deer dropped right there, but I also had to make a 2nd shot on both once I got out of the tree. The doe I shot with my bow last year the shot was right at the very front of the chest.It caught part of a lung and a major artery. Arrow didn't pass through and it was a tough tracking job. She went about 125 yds. I find with my rifle I like a double lung shot a little ways up. The hydroshock from my 270 WSM will break the spine and drop them right there. If it ends up being lower, it's still a double lung shot and they shouldn't go far.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 am

behind the front shoulder, on an elk I will shoot it through the shoulder and they don't go far if anywhere..The spine shot is great but if you shoot a little low all you did was put a hole in it..Shoot em through the heart lung area, waste just a little hamburger but puts em on the ground...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices