hunting talk

hyguti

hunting talk

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:12 am

i hunt in wisconsin and illinois. well in illinois i got soe huge deer but they are so smart because of all the hunting pressure. the only way i can get these bucks are during the rut when their off gaurd anyone know how to get a big old buck into bow range not during the rut.

this buck is over 190+ inches and is about 5years old. i never see him when the rut is not goen on but is see him during the rut.  when the rut is on hes locked on to does and i never can get him into range any suggestions??/

DeerCamp

RE: hunting talk

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:12 am

190 is a VERY BIG DEER! Are you sure he's in the 190's? I dont doubt it if you say it, thats just a rare deer. Do you have any trail cam photos of this deer we could see? My best advise to you is hunt the days D&DH says to hunt on the calendar for your area. My other advise to you is just stay on stand all day, dont move and I wouldnt bait if I were you either. Some time luck is all ya need.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:24 am

i am getting trail cams im in high school but im pretty sure hes like 190+ hes got  about 19 point with lots of mass im getting some trail cams this weekend  hope i get some pics and show u.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:56 pm

This technique is not for beginners, but if you have the patience, it can be a very effective way to get a shot at a big buck with a firearm, during the full rut.......and that is to stillhunt the general area where you are seeing a lot of does, and rut sign (scrapes, rubs, etc.)

When dominant bucks are on the move, they can appear almost anywhere, and anytime. You MUST know the ground you are going to stillhunt on like the back of your hand. Look for areas where deer stage, and be always on the look out for a solo doe, that is displaying definate signs that she is in estrous. If you do, stillhunt the area she was in, being ever on the watch for any movement in the area downwind of where she was.

Stillhunting gives you the freedom to move as conditions dictate, and a better chance to intercept, or maybe even move in on a buck who's on the move also, and who many times isn't paying the close attention to his survival instincts as he normally would, as his mind is occupied with "other" things!

The biggest buck I ever killed, and several others that are in my top 5 were killed this way.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 pm

I'd use a WLRC scrape dripper to hopefully keep him in the area,and scent killer products, then HUNT ALL DAY, until someone bumps him out of his bedding area towards you by chance. There is many more pointers that can be suggested, but you have to start somewhere. You could still end up hunting all season and never see him, but atleast you will know you gave him 100% effort.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:23 am

everyone thanks for all the information. i think this will help me kill this buck, this 2008 season and if i do i will post some pics for you. thanks alot for the information.

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:45 am

Can you post some of the trail cam pics?  That would allow others to guesstimate the score?

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:27 am

hes a pic of him
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game.

"My idea of fast food is a mallard."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:55 pm

wow very nice buck! you can tell by his body that hes no yungin either. best of luck in givin him a truck ride this year
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:57 pm

hunt smart watch your scent, dont sit a cetain site more than twice in row. and sit all day through november. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Next

Return to Illinois