food plots and hunting

hyguti

food plots and hunting

Postby hyguti » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:42 pm

i just started to make food plots in wisconsin. But i have not had any luck getting some plots to grow or to attract deer to the plot. i have more sucess during hunting season away from the food plots like imperial clover and i usally see 20 more deer by the apple trees that i planted why is that.

Goose

RE: food plots and hunting

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:51 am

Depends on what you plant. Soybeans for instance will attract deer all summer upto sept. then they find something else because it is not as palatable to them once it gets to a certain stage. They will then come back to it in late season and actually eat the beans. Another thing is that they are adjusting for the upcoming fall/winter and hunter pressure. Alot of times around begining of sept. they will start hitting the mast trees.  I.E. acorns and apples, theyll put these above all other available food. Then when leaves start dropping and the tree canopy opens up they adjust to that by becoming more nocturnal. But the food plots should keep the does around and that will in turn keep the bucks around. WI has hard growing seasons. Seems we either get a drought or too much rain. Weeds are also hard to keep at bay. We had good luck this year with roundup ready soybeans. Your ph level is also important. Ive heard good things about shot plot and also antler king. Antler king is actually tested in WI. Hope this helps ya!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:50 pm

thanks helps alot for the information. i will try and check the ph lvl next season and take more time to care about the plot just hard cause im still in school and sports.

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm

when im hunting the rutting part of the year in wisconsin. i seem to have no luck cause all the bucks chase the doe's out of the area where my stands. i never get a chance to take a buck becuase they are always locked on a doe especially the 200+ inch buck i have seen for the past 2 years. have any advice to take a buck off a doe and bring him into bow range. i only can get a buck in the early season or after the rut.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:33 pm

During the lockdown phase try hunting the doe bedding areas. Pulling a buck off a doe is rare but I would try a snort wheeze even be better with a decoy.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:22 am

thanks alot goose.[8D]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:43 am

I have 3 areas on our land that I know the doe bring buck to when the chase phase is in....I set up in theses areas....they are all 100-200 yards away from my plots.....problem I have is getting the doe to stop running circles in and out of these areas long enough to get the buck to stand still. The 8pt I took last year 3 days into bow season.....  had bed down in heavy brambles waiting for doe to move in on their evening route....less than 200ft from my stand he popped out and walked past my stand for a quartering away shot

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:58 am

hello msbadger when the does are running by me i stop them by bleating or blowing at them... but if their is a buck on their tail i usally just watch cause when you try to get the doe to stop it makes her more nervous. but i have sometimes get a doe to stop by blowing or bleat at it. maybe one of the staff may help more than me

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 am

i hunt in like southern wisconsin in columbia co i was wounder can u bait with like corn or store food for deer like acorn rage and if you can whats limit size.

Return to Wisconsin