Mineral Licks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
PrairieShadow

RE: Mineral Licks

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:30 am

No Bears here, Coyotes are the biggest predator we have here and unless they are in a pack they will not take on a full grown deer. I get lots of pics of deer walking by my sites but they have no interest. The only pictures of deer using the licks or mostly just smelling the licks are the young spotted fawns in the spring.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

No Bears here, Coyotes are the biggest predator we have here and unless they are in a pack they will not take on a full grown deer. I get lots of pics of deer walking by my sites but they have no interest. The only pictures of deer using the licks or mostly just smelling the licks are the young spotted fawns in the spring.

Don't give up on them - the deer may eventually decide to use the sites. 

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:51 pm

In Ohio here, and my licks get hit HARD.  I am near a river and apple orchard.  Put out one per year.  If they find it (and they will) and they need it, they will use it.  If not, move it to a new location.  They may not have the need at present location, not enough water, or whatever.  They will use them in the right location, you just need to find that magic spot.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:19 pm

I use Buck Grub, and have found that to work great around our area, but Im not sure if its 100% sure its considered a mineral lick, but its like an addiction to them, I just used some recently and they actually have a trail where I poured it out...thought of trying Deer cane or Acorn rage, but its pricier, and not sure if it works good...has anyone used either before??
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:06 pm

ORIGINAL: HiddenHornsRanch

I use Buck Grub, and have found that to work great around our area, but Im not sure if its 100% sure its considered a mineral lick, but its like an addiction to them, I just used some recently and they actually have a trail where I poured it out...thought of trying Deer cane or Acorn rage, but its pricier, and not sure if it works good...has anyone used either before??

Buck Grub is a huge deer attractant.  It works great.  It is actually Stabilized Rice Bran with calcium carbonate added.  The calcium carbonate has a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorous, which helps with bone & antler growth.  So, it does have some minerals in it, but I agree I'm not sure if it would be considered a mineral lick.

I didn't have any luck with Deer Cane.

Acorn Rage is just crushed up acorns with soybean meal mixed in.  I have not tried it because I just can't bring myself to pay so much for acorns that are all over the ground already for free.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:14 am

I wonder if thats why the deer hit my buckwheat so hard...it releases phosphorous bound in soil and with deep tap root it's able to bring more nutrients up from deeper areas.......hhhmmm legal grows all spring and summer till frost and only 79cents a pound......

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:22 am

The best part is you don't have to sugar coat buckwheat with salt, to get deer to eat it![:)]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements