Deer fever?

EatDeer

Deer fever?

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Anyone found or heard of any dead deer by water sources this year?  I'm thinking all the rains in the  spring and summer might have kept the fever from thinning the herd again this year. Last season my deer sightings were cut in half compared to years past.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

RE: Deer fever?

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 am

i havent heard of any this year. by this time last year id recieved several pictures of deer that had been found.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:50 am

yea its called blue tongue its a little bug in water like a nat which gets into the deers nose when drinking water. but it usually happens when their is a drought not a good year of rain.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:16 am

So far the only dead deer I have come onto are all in the ditch.  Have not heard of any this year,  but did last year in southern Ohio.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) is an acute, infectious, often fatal viral disease of some wild ruminants. This disease, characterized by extensive hemorrhages, has been responsible for significant deaths in deer in the northern United States and southern Canada.

A similar hemorrhagic disease called bluetongue also occurs throughout the U.S. and Canada. The two diseases are antigenically different.

bucks seem to be more supseptable because of the sift tissue or velvet surrounding the still forming antlers, which offers an ideal place for the gnats that carry this disorder to bite and draw blood . leaving the disease behind.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Illinois