lead fragmentation

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
fr0sty

lead fragmentation

Postby fr0sty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 am

I posted this same reply in the hornady sst thread, but thought the topic was important enough to merit it's own thread.

I watched an interesting presentation on the mn dnr site about lead fragmentation.  This is my first season switch from my 12 gauge using federal trubal slugs to a .270.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildl ... /index.htm

I have chosen to use the blue box federal in 130 grains.  I have a lot of range time and comfortable with shooting it.  Have any of you choose different factory ammo that fragments less?  Their study showed that bonded core, enclosed core and copper bullets fragmented less.

mnslayer

RE: lead fragmentation

Postby mnslayer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:28 am

frosty
my experience with the 270 hunting is limited to 130grain winchester power points,but I did shoot remington corelock and federal blues at the range before chosing winchester when I started, becuase it shot extremley tight groups in my gun. I can say though all the slugs I recovered from hunting were well mushroomed and mostly intact. I suggest shooting other shelf ammo at the range to see what works best then monitor your results when you hunt. accurate shots count the most. love my 270 hope you have as much luck with yours. good hunting

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 am

I found the blue box federals in 130 grains to shoot well in my xl7.

ilovetohunt

Postby ilovetohunt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 am

I have a browning A-bolt .270 that I shoot with 130gr. Win Power Points and I love the set up. I have not shot the Corelokt's yet but I would like to put a few through my gun just to see how they shoot as well.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 am

There's plenty to show there is fragmentation, but there is no evidence it amounts to anything important.  You can consume a hunk of lead and it will go right through your digestive system.  I would not worry about it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Guns and Ammo