Whats in your pack?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Whats in your pack?

Postby Sailfish » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:57 am

Whether it's in a tree stand, shanty, spot and stalk what do you bring in your pack? Compass, rope, rain wear, GPS, umbrella, p-cup, granola bars, etc.

What about the pack itself? Fanny pack (I had to put it out there[:@] ), back pack, chest pack, duffel bag?

I think it will be interesting to see what everyone brings, I imagine there will be a few "Wow, I never thought of that!"
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

hunter480

RE: Whats in your pack?

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:52 am

Some hunts I carry a backpack, usually, it`s a fannypack though. I`ve really cut down on what I consider necessary to take afield.

Routinely, I have 2 knives, extra ammo if gun or muzzleloader hunting, spare draw rope, Surefire flashlight and spare bulb and batteries, grunt tube, estrus bleat can, 2-way radio, and a doe-drag.

Occasionally, I`ll carry binocs.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:53 am

Great post Sailfish,

Tree stand I take my back pack, spot and stalk I use a small fanny pack. I always care a field dressing kit, folding boning knife, gut hook, rubber gloves, string wet naps. Bottle of water, granola bars, binos, rangefinder, compass, calls, rattle bag, blood light, trail markers, extra face mask, and early season I always have my thermacell. Cold season a few heat pads. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that sums it up.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:18 am

way to much stuff as i hunt all day in any weather
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am

I've pared it down considerably in recent years.  The pack I carry now is a camo shoulder bag suitable for a small video camera.  It is padded and it is rain resistant.

[ul][*]Compass, matches, a piece of writing paper, pen[*]License and tags[*]Ammo[*]Flashlight and change of batteries[*]T-screw-- left over from my days with a strap on stand, but it does a great job of starting a hole in the side of the tree for. . .[*]Screw-in treestand step.  I'm too big to trust it anymore, but it does a great job for holding gear. Between the T-Screw and the step I have a couple of nice gear hooks[*]Walkie-talkie or cellphone.[*]A 25' foot piece of cord and a snag hook with the barbs ground off.  If I drop something, this will retrieve it.[*]A multi-purpose adjustable deer call that will do a bleat to a grunt and all things in between.[*]A snort call hanging on the same lanyard as the other deer call[*]A small book. I keep something in there to fight boredom.  I start the season with the Farmers Almanac.  Sometimes it's the Bible. Sometimes it's poetry or philosophy. I want something that will keep me sitting still if I get the urge to move.  In a pinch it becomes tinder[*]Enough snack food to keep me warm[*]Small chemical heat packs in case I get very cold. I open one up and throw it down my coat.[/ul]But shaman, where's the knife?   That's on me where I could cut myself out of my harness if need be.

It's a small kit, but I'm less than a half mile from the house. If I was away from home, I'd have a much larger pack with much more gear. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:43 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

I've pared it down considerably in recent years.  The pack I carry now is a camo shoulder bag suitable for a small video camera.  It is padded and it is rain resistant.
[ul][*]Compass, matches, a piece of writing paper, pen
[*]License and tags
[*]Ammo
[*]Flashlight and change of batteries
[*]T-screw-- left over from my days with a strap on stand, but it does a great job of starting a hole in the side of the tree for. . .
[*]Screw-in treestand step.  I'm too big to trust it anymore, but it does a great job for holding gear. Between the T-Screw and the step I have a couple of nice gear hooks
[*]Walkie-talkie or cellphone.
[*]A 25' foot piece of cord and a snag hook with the barbs ground off.  If I drop something, this will retrieve it.
[*]A multi-purpose adjustable deer call that will do a bleat to a grunt and all things in between.
[*]A snort call hanging on the same lanyard as the other deer call
[*]A small book. I keep something in there to fight boredom.  I start the season with the Farmers Almanac.  Sometimes it's the Bible. Sometimes it's poetry or philosophy. I want something that will keep me sitting still if I get the urge to move.  In a pinch it becomes tinder
[*]Enough snack food to keep me warm
[*]Small chemical heat packs in case I get very cold. I open one up and throw it down my coat.[/ul]
But shaman, where's the knife?   That's on me where I could cut myself out of my harness if need be.

It's a small kit, but I'm less than a half mile from the house. If I was away from home, I'd have a much larger pack with much more gear. 

Thanks for the reminder, how could I have forgotten the small New Testiment?

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:43 am

Rangefinder, knife, rattle bag, grunt tube, 2-way radio, bow hook, a couple different scents, survey tape, parer towels, plastic bag, twist ties, limb saw, snips for pelvic bone and briskit, rope, scent blocker spray, head lamp. I think that's it, oh and can't forget the license. I just keep adding stuff here.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:16 am

gerber saw,gerber knife,2 pee willy wicks w/scent in them,scent wicks w/another bot. of scent,cellphone to play games & clock , empty 20 oz dr pepper bottle, 20 oz dr pepper,2 grunt tubes, primos can,latex gloves for handling scents,scent killer field bottle,hot hands when cold,small flashlight & it all fits in my fanny pack
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 am

Knife,topo map,compass,water,sandwich,snacks,heat packs,drag rope,extra ammo,baby wipes(for you know what),walkie talkie ,i carry these items in a fanny pack.Calls i carry on a lanyard around my neck and binoculars.On colder days extra wool socks and mittens.On warm days a small spray bottle of scent sheild. 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:30 am

P.S. extra batteries,flashlite,licence,pen[8|]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Next

Return to General Discussions