new to the forum and a question on books etc.

jackailius

new to the forum and a question on books etc.

Postby jackailius » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking for quite while and appreciate all that I have learned already and the stories that you all share. I have been a Wisconsin rifle hunter for about 15 years and just picked up a bow for the first time last year. I still haven't had any success with the bow, though I've seen quite a few and really enjoy it. I was able to harvest an 8 pointer and a big doe this year during gun season so I've got some meat in the freezer. With the bow I am definately getting much more in to hunting skills, scents and conservation in general. My question is if any of you fellow Wisconsinites have any good suggested reading for hunting skills and tips. I saw an advertisement for Dominence is Everything by Bob Mercier and am wondering if anyone has read his book and if it is worth the $50 it costs? Any other suggestions would be very appreciated for north woods hunting.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Ostermann

Re: new to the forum and a question on books etc.

Postby Ostermann » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:03 pm

There is a book I would recommend:
Hunting Rutting Whitetails by Gene Wensel
Bowhunter's Digest - several versions of it, I have one that Chuck Adams did around 1985 or so. This is about a 300-400 page book that helps with basics. It may have changed over the years due to technology.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:49 pm

jackailius, welcome to the forum! I can't help you with the books, but many others on here can. There are no stupid questions. This site is kid friendly, polite, and runs long on serious hunters, so there is a lot to learn. We look forward to sharing your adventures as well! You say you are new to the bow. What style of hunting have you tried, and what did you like or dislike about it? We have guys who hunt from nosebleed climbers down to stalkers in gillie suits! and everything inbetween. Enjoy the forum! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Check out your local library! I've been doing this for the last several years. Also reading lots of old books. I find that the older books teach woodcraft skills whereas the newer books are much more technology dependent. I like trail cameras and such, but figure that I'm a better person learning how to be a part of the woods than just trumping it by sitting high in a vantage point and sniping deer something with a super accurate modern rifle.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

No particular book to recommend, just a thought about the magazines. Although a lot of them spend more pages on product advertisement than they do giving good advice, I do think there are some names to look for if you are browsing any of them. Randy Ulmer and Bill Winke, to name a couple, tend to write articles to educate more than to entertain. Don't ask me what mags they write for, though.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Here is one curtisy of Woods Walker, "That one was "Stalking and Stillhunting, The Ground Hunter's Bible"...by G. Fred Asbell" and you should be able to find the authers that PGChambers offered with a simple google search. As to the library, I have always had better luck by approaching the librarian with" I have heard of you, and have come to challenge your abilities!" They will bend over backwards to assist, not just point in the right direction. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Wisconsin