3-D deer targets

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
mag30079

RE: 3-D deer targets

Postby mag30079 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks Lot to learn

Well basicly I found a picture of a small buck online and printed it out. I then cut out the picture and put it on my over head projector. Bought $10 worth of burlap from the fablic supply house and traced the picture on to the fabric. I played around with the sizing on the projector untill I had the dimintions close to the 3d targets they sell for too much. I then had to figure out how to use the wife sewing machine that took the longest then stuffed it with plastic shopping bags and put a chunk of hard packing foam I got out of the scrap bin at work. Some pvc for the frame work that was $10. Finally a little airbrushing.

A buddy and I shot it about 200 times now from 10-40yds and no pass thru.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:50 am

When your foam starts getting beat up, buy a can of the foam gap filler form the local hw store and fill in the holes. Might give you some added life for another $6
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:18 am

Thats a good idea Sailfish, That would save me some sewing.
Here's my first prototype, I've shot this target for 2 years now. It has 4 shootable side. I just restuffed it a few weeks ago.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 am

Its not bad for fixed broadheads but expandables are a real pain.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Just talked to a friend of mine and he told me to turn my arrows clockwise before pulling them out of the 3-D targets and to use an arrow puller.  He just laughed at me and said its easy!!  Will find out for sure.  Pan

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:48 pm

I bought the GlennDel with vitals this sping...I like it ok but I think next time I save up that much money to buy a target I'm gonna buy a Rhienhart ---thats all our local archery clubs use and they stand up to  Louisiana weather very very well...whereas the Glenndel is fading qite a bit...still shoots and pulls out good though

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:54 pm

I can attest to the canned foam gap filler, I have two 3-d buck targets one is 15 years old and the other around 12, the oldest I refill the vitals area every year with the filler and its good as new. The other, well.. I never used it yet!  Its sitting in my basement just waiting. Considering the prices of these things i'm trying to get as much use out of the older one as I can. And believe it or not it still looks pretty good. 
If anyone decides to use the filler, make sure to use the type that hardens not the one that stays soft and flexible.
Also here are some pictures of my field point target I made this year.
If anyone would like to make one here is what I did..
Its 26"x26''x21" deep. I made it out of 8 milk crates latched together with large plastic ties, then cut out the inner area leaving only a shell, i then reinforced it with some 3/8" plywood and screws. I then drilled a few holes in the top for rope handles. The backing is an old piece of carpet, you might see it on the pics, and i have a 2-1/2" piece of hard foam in front of that. The rest of the inside is old rags, sheets, and clothes. The face is from a screen door I replaced.
Once you fill the shell, stretch the screen and staple it to the inner wood support and paint on some target circles and your done! 
The screen material is the type of plastic screening used thats supposed to help prevent rips or your dogs or cats from puncturing it. You can get it at Home Depot in rolls. All in all it was easy to make, is portable and free!(or very cheap if you need to buy screen and a piece of foam)
I looked at targets this past spring and did not want to dump $100.00 or more on one, and considering i made them in the past using a large cardboad box as trhe frame which only lasted one season i felt that making one like this should last many, many years. I'll probably need to replace the screen face in a year or so but so far its holding up well. The kids love it, and I love it, however it just doesn't accept broadheads well.(They go in great but come out pulling out the cut material)

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:00 pm

WOW! How can I get some pics up here without taking up so much room?? never experienced this before?

Sorry can't download photo's taking, up to much space, i will contact Corey at D&DH and hopefully he can help me figure out what may be wrong, I will post the pics on 9-2...i hope.

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 am

here is one picture of the target so far.. Corey at D&DH always is able to figure any computer problem I am dealing with. Hopefully 2 more pictures of the target will follow.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 am

Nice job shadow,

I like the idea of using pet screen.
I tryed using old rags but switch to plastic shopping bags for weight and easier arrow removal. Also used old plastic drop cloth I had from painting houses.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting