Turkey Calls

NYSupersportsman

RE: Turkey Calls

Postby NYSupersportsman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:19 pm

In my experience turkey calls do not work from a treestand. If blindly calling early in the morning ... maybe but I have seen turkeys many times from my treestand while bowhunting and called to them. Every time the spotted me or turned around and walked away.  Turkeys can pinpoint exactly where that call is coming from and when ur up in a tree 20 feet its easy for them to look up and realized ur not a turkey... This is of course just my experience and my opinion. Good luck. 
NYSS

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 pm

By the way Fast eddie, where in western NY are u from. I am currently goin to college in Buffalo but I am originally from Chautauqua County.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm

I live in Ontario , New York . After high school ( Geneseo - Livingston County ) I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps . Moved here in 1963 ------- long before you were born !

My take with the Turkey calls is not to call in turkeys but to have deer investigate . I have had deer approach turkey decoys when I was calling during spring turkey season .

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm

i have used turkey calls to cover me bumbling around the woods in the dark
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:27 am

OOhh Oh oH I have to strongly disagree with that as far as my experiance and being 50 I've hunted many a year and call turkey using my voice....I shot a fox in shot gun... stalking a flock of turkey ...they dispersed and I called them off the hill and one hen dang near flew into my lap as I sat in a 16ft trees stand...I've fall bowhunted turkey from my stands and flocks have reg. walked under my stands when I was gun hunting in full orange...Fasteddie we aren't far from each other and I grad. from york high school...lived in Piffard as a kid

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:30 am

OOpps forgot to say I set up both turkey and buck decoy during bow season ...it settles both to come in for shots and yes I reg . turkey call and doe bleat for deer...they eat together here ...what one can't see the other hears...more relaxed

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Ms Badger ----- I lived in Piffard for about 3 years and went to Kindergarden & 1st Grade at York . My wife lived in Leicester and went to High School in York . So i knew the Vitales , Grants , Argentas , etc growing up . Small world . My cousin worked at Lucidol .

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:29 am

Wow very small world ...all my niegbors.....Mr Maloney...the biology teacher lived there....Ole Charlie Rose.....use to squirrel hunt on the rail road bed down by the monks land along river...Bonadillos(sp)Buccis...remember the college party spot between piffard and york? I can't remember what it was called back then....it was the GVI when I worked there.... 

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:23 pm

It seems when I go turkey hunting in the spring, I call in many deer with the turkey calls. The guys are amazed when they see the deer come in. I don't know why but they seem to want to investigate.
  Fall bow, I always have a slate w/ me to cluck and putt. It seems to relax the deer. There has been many times I've watched turkeys go thru the scrub and not too far behind them I see legs.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

DeanoZ

Turkey Calls

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 am

With Spring Gobbler just around the corner I figured I better start gearing up.  I use a box call, but wonder if I'd be better off with something else...anyone recommend a good caller?

Next

Return to Calls