So How Has Everyone's Season Gone

Bryan78

So How Has Everyone's Season Gone

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am

So how has everyone done so far this year? I got two on opening day other then that I went out two more times (draw hunts) and now I am done for the year.

jdbell91

Re: So How Has Everyone's Season Gone

Postby jdbell91 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:42 am

Opening weekend of firearms season was great! I got a big nine pointer at 8 a.m. on opening day. My dad got a four pointer at 8:30 a.m. opening day. My brother, HoosierHawkeye, got a doe late in the day.

Day two of firearms season my dad and I took my ten year old son out. We saw a wide six pointer, but he did not get a shot off.

I also got a large doe on Wednesday, November 23rd at 1 p.m.

The warm weather and high wind seem to have made for slow deer movement. I went out for the opener of muzzleloader last Saturday, but did not see anything but squirrels. We are headed out this weekend. Hopefully the cold temperatures and decreased pressure will allow for more deer movement. I am looking to take one more doe this season.

Good luck and be safe out there!
Semper Fi,

Joe

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm

jdbell91 wrote:Opening weekend of firearms season was great! I got a big nine pointer at 8 a.m. on opening day. My dad got a four pointer at 8:30 a.m. opening day. My brother, HoosierHawkeye, got a doe late in the day.

Day two of firearms season my dad and I took my ten year old son out. We saw a wide six pointer, but he did not get a shot off.

I also got a large doe on Wednesday, November 23rd at 1 p.m.

The warm weather and high wind seem to have made for slow deer movement. I went out for the opener of muzzleloader last Saturday, but did not see anything but squirrels. We are headed out this weekend. Hopefully the cold temperatures and decreased pressure will allow for more deer movement. I am looking to take one more doe this season.

Good luck and be safe out there!

Looks like you've had a great season so far. My season was pretty much done on opening day. I went out two more times (draw hunts) and that was because I could shoot an extra buck in those. Both my doe and buck were huge and I have plenty of meat to last me a very long time. Good luck to you this weekend, I'll be on a southbound flight to Florida for Christmas. Hopefully this year the weather will be warmer then last year.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:22 am

I have had an incredible season. Took my largest buck so far and with the bow, breaking a 6 year archery slump. Also was lucky enough to kill 3 'trophy' bucks (for my area) off public land. Two with the smokepole and one with the rifle. There is something about these Central Florida swamp donkey's, most guys wouldn't care to put so much work into killing a 100" buck, but I absolutely love it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Your right Swamplife! you have to work for them down here. I made it to Huntingburg again this year I hunted the lease im on seen a pile of bucks, but the biggest deer I seen was on public ground(DNR property) I seen a 10p that was huge!!!! and a 8P that was Huge!! I got tired of hunting the same place so ventured off this year for acouple days to the public area. I seen bigger deer come off the public properties then on the leases around us! Me and the wife seen two bucks that would go 150-170 in the back of acouple trucks. GREAT GREAT YEAR!!

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:08 pm

I have had a blast this year. I took a 9 pointer very early in october with my bow. (first deer with a bow) had my first and worst case of buck fever ever, a really nice 8 pointer stood directly beside the tree looking up at me after i watched him walk in from 200 yards.I tried to draw on him while he was looking away and he instantly looked back at me (that`s when it started) and still walked right up to the tree! I did`nt think i would ever stop shaking man what a rush!
should have shot three or 4 does but my bow was either on the hanger or i was daydreaming and they snuck in on me or i was standing when i should have been sitting. so i have racks to hang and stories to tell what more could a guy ask for? oh yeah since my hunting buddy`s wives do`nt want deer meat in their houses. I got to keep 2 does they shot so i have a freezer full to top it off. I`m going to try for another buck in the iowa late season since i did`nt shotgun hunt this year but have no problem ending the season right now.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Luvhunting do you have to be drawn to hunt Iowa or can you buy a tag over the counter?

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:47 pm

pretty sure it`s draw only but being i`m in a line of work that i catch blame all day(auto repair)
http://iowadnr.gov is where they will have all the correct info.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Iowa is draw only, but last several years there are plenty left over for 'over the counter' purchase due to the economic slump and their high price tag. At least that is what I heard last year. I would love to get out there one year...

GulfCapt I am going to have to shoot u a PM...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:10 am

I sent you a PM back Swamplife!

Return to Indiana