Snort-wheeze

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
brentru

Snort-wheeze

Postby brentru » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:35 am

Do both bucks and does make this sound or only bucks?  Was out in the woods today and had one make a bunch of noise at us.  Only saw the tail as it was jumping/running away, so I don't know if it was a buck or not.  Reason that we think it was a doe is that a fawn snuck up on us without mama around.  We were out there without camo and this little guy came within 20' of us before getting nervous.  Pretty cool!

howhill1

RE: Snort-wheeze

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm

the snort weeze and the "alarm' snort are two really disticnt sounds. i would have to guess that what you heard was a doe giving you what for to distract you from her fawn as well as tell everyone else that somthing wasnt right. its been my experience that most bucks dont hang around to scold an intruder they usually just leave. im not saying they wont blow at you or even do so extensively. they just seem to be more prone to just exiting quickly and quietly. the alarm snort is more of a solid straight pffffttt. while the snort weeze is not unlike a cat spitting followed by the pffffffffffttttttt. very hard to describe by typing. try a search for snort weeze ill bet you can find sound bytes somewhere.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

I would have to agree with howhill, what you heard was the doe, and not really a snort-wheeze,not in the sense of how bucks use it. im sure any deer is capable of making a snort-wheeze kind of sound, and the sound you heard was probably very close to a snort-wheeze, but would not technically be called a snort-wheeze, not as we have come to learn about it for hunting bucks anyway. all deer make different sounds by blowing air through their noses, which is basically how a snort-wheeze is made, but other warning sounds would be made that way too and would sound similar. similar enough to us humans that is, i bet they sound as much a like to deer as a cow and a kitten sound to us.

brentru

Postby brentru » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:06 am

OK, did a little reading and I believe that what I heard was the Alert variety of the snort.  Heard it a couple of times last year too but it was pitch dark and I couldn't tell whether or not it was a buck or doe.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:32 pm

"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:16 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

check out this sight.
http://www.bowhunting.net/eMagazine/Articles/Deer-sounds1.html
  Very informative!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:58 am

Very informative...although I have to say, their version of the snort wheeze and what Primos has on their sight for their buck roar are much different.

Return to All About Deer Sign