7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

User avatar
Jslotter
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Jslotter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:12 pm

I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

windsor
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby windsor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:09 am

Isnt this the second year in a row with no fatalities? My wife isnt so keen on gun hunting, had to convince her that the most dangerous part of hunting is climbing in and out of my stand.

User avatar
Jslotter
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 am

That is true Windsor. Treestand falls and fatalities are becoming to common. Its weird they never count those incidents. Its all firearms. There were a few deaths this year due to natural causes, they weren't counted either.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

User avatar
kellory
 
Posts: 2684
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Jslotter wrote:That is true Windsor. Treestand falls and fatalities are becoming to common. Its weird they never count those incidents. Its all firearms. There were a few deaths this year due to natural causes, they weren't counted either.

Nothing strange about that. It is guns they wish to villafy. accidents and natural deaths would dilute the data.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

User avatar
Jslotter
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:59 pm

kellory wrote:
Jslotter wrote:That is true Windsor. Treestand falls and fatalities are becoming to common. Its weird they never count those incidents. Its all firearms. There were a few deaths this year due to natural causes, they weren't counted either.

Nothing strange about that. It is guns they wish to villafy. accidents and natural deaths would dilute the data.

I can believe that kellory. What caused the "natural" caused deaths? I want to know for sure, so it doesn't happen to me. You never hear about people falling off tree stands either. Yet, it happens all the time. This type of information can educate hunters better if we knew the leading causes of death and injury in the last decade in WI during hunting season. Maybe Im misinformed about something, but is there some website out there that gives details about non-firearm related injury and deaths?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Dan Salmon
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:52 am

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Jslotter wrote:That is true Windsor. Treestand falls and fatalities are becoming to common. Its weird they never count those incidents. Its all firearms. There were a few deaths this year due to natural causes, they weren't counted either.


You've just pointed out the agenda.

When you've got over 600,000 drunken country bumpkins out carrying loaded firearms shooting at poor defenseless Bambi, them there city folks have to help protect the bumpkins from themselves. And the easiest way to do that is to disarm them. There was another pretty infamous guy that did just that, disarmed everyone, and ironically in the end, took his own life with, you guessed it, a gun (and cyanide but that doesn't make this point as well).

Dan Salmon
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:52 am

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Jslotter wrote:
kellory wrote:
Jslotter wrote:That is true Windsor. Treestand falls and fatalities are becoming to common. Its weird they never count those incidents. Its all firearms. There were a few deaths this year due to natural causes, they weren't counted either.

Nothing strange about that. It is guns they wish to villafy. accidents and natural deaths would dilute the data.

I can believe that kellory. What caused the "natural" caused deaths? I want to know for sure, so it doesn't happen to me. You never hear about people falling off tree stands either. Yet, it happens all the time. This type of information can educate hunters better if we knew the leading causes of death and injury in the last decade in WI during hunting season. Maybe Im misinformed about something, but is there some website out there that gives details about non-firearm related injury and deaths?


Deer & Deer Hunting did a study a decade or more ago on treestand deaths/injuries. I'm sure the numbers are even worse now than back then.

User avatar
Jslotter
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:14 pm

for sure. My second cousin fell 20 feet last month. He busted his shoulder, busted his face up, and has no feeling from the waist down. Might not walk again. Stuff like that in my area should make the news, but never did.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

User avatar
Jslotter
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 pm

@ Dan. I wonder if partying to hard would be "natural causes" then?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

windsor
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: 7 incidents, but no deaths during 2011 gun/deer season.

Postby windsor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 am

Jslotter wrote:for sure. My second cousin fell 20 feet last month. He busted his shoulder, busted his face up, and has no feeling from the waist down. Might not walk again. Stuff like that in my area should make the news, but never did.


Thats a shame, sorry to hear that. You are right though, that should make news. Too many guys i know are lax when it comes to harnesses and treestand safety. While I havent fallen YET, I've come close. I just dont feel safe in a tree without my harness. Everyone should be wearing them. But getting everyone to wear a harness is akin to getting everyone to stop drinking and driving, aint gunna happen.

Next

Return to Wisconsin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests