disking using an ATV

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
easports

disking using an ATV

Postby easports » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 am

Over the last several years I’ve been planting small food plots due to location and lack of equipment. Traditionally it’s all hard labor….push mower, pushing a tiller and raking by hand. Since I purchased an ATV this year I’d like to do this process smarter and not harder. I would like to expand the food plots but need some advice on a disk. There are a number of units on the market with a variety of reviews. My ATV is a Honda 420cc.

I would appreciate any feed back. I would like to get the ground prepared now for the fall planting.

bmstaaf

Re: disking using an ATV

Postby bmstaaf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 am

I have the same atv, just bought discs (iwill get back to you on what kind, they are four feet wide weigh 150 lbs with a weight rack on top) I was told I still may have to do the tiller the first year until I get the ground worked..the area I plant has good top soil so I don't know what your dealing with..I will take pictures and show you my results... next week at the latest... the 420 rancher is a good wheeler I like it... I am putting an additional 125 lbs of brick on the back hope its enough..

highridgehunter

Postby highridgehunter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Sportsmans Guide has a decent pull behind unit $130.00 that I bought. Have not tried it out but depending on how much weight you put on it the max it will go is 5-6" deep which is fine for most plots. We used to rent a tow behind tiller in the spring but the place sold it.
Remember if you plant they will come then turn the forest floor Red

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 am

When using an ATV disc, the heavier the better, and anything you buy will probably not be heavy enough. Do not think for a minute you will get "tractor-like" results using an ATV disc. If you can burn the field and get rid of litter and plants, you will get better results.

We have used a King Kutter ATV disc for the past several years, purchased at Tractor Supply which weighs about 300 pounds. In perfect soil conditions it does a fair job, but only after we have put a hundred pounds or more of extra weight on it. And it takes several passes in various directions to get those fair results. We added weight to the disc to the point where my 500 Arctic Cat could not pull it and it was still only doing a fair job up to that point.

Something to remember, you will get better soil disturbance when turning. Often times we have disced larger fields by simply making a series of circles over the entire area, then coming back and straight discing to kind of neaten things up.

Best of luck, an ATV disc is better than nothing and with a lot of time and work, you will get a soil surface that works pretty well.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

milkie62

Postby milkie62 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm

You may need to bite the bullet and rent a 30-40 hp tractor and buy a set of discs from tractor supply.I have rented a 35 hp 4wd tractor with bucket from my local hardware store for $250/day .Then after the first year of realy ripping up the soil you can use the atv equipment.Another idea is if your area does not need a 4wd tractor,old Ford 8n tractors are available for $2000 and up depending on condition.It just depends how much land you are working etc.

chris_hood1

Postby chris_hood1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 pm

This is what i have it discs the ground spreads the seed and covers seed back up in 1 easy step. I dont know how to post pictures i've been trying for 10 mins so here is the facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Va ... ef=tn_tnmn

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management