Training Center! My ticket out?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
ranwin33

Re: Training Center! My ticket out?

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:13 pm

kellory wrote:Sounds like an interesting goal! Are these to be desert pies, or will you be offering beef pot pies as well? Might even try for venison pot pie....yummmm! :)

Meat pies, desert pies, anything the farm or other local farmers can provide. Sounds like a lot of work to me, but hey, if it makes them happy, keeps them busy, and they can make money at it, then who am I to mess with their dream. She afterall let me buy the farm so I could have mine.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:36 am

ranwin33 wrote: Wish the deer hunting there was better though, only small bucks and does so far.
[/quote]
I feel you there! As you know, that's my situation only a few miles from where you have a gold mine in North Missouri. Oh well, it could be a lot worse. I get deeper satisfaction from the small deer on land that I own and work, than big deer on places I merely visit.

Hey! Maybe I could open my training center on a corner of your Kansas farm! You feed people pies and I make them vomit them back up! The circle of life....or maybe not.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:04 am

ranwin33 wrote:
kellory wrote:Sounds like an interesting goal! Are these to be desert pies, or will you be offering beef pot pies as well? Might even try for venison pot pie....yummmm! :)

Meat pies, desert pies, anything the farm or other local farmers can provide. Sounds like a lot of work to me, but hey, if it makes them happy, keeps them busy, and they can make money at it, then who am I to mess with their dream. She afterall let me buy the farm so I could have mine.

You know, it's a funny thing. As a kid I have seen most of the USA by car. We drove to Arizona every year for family, and we did it without air conditioning. My dad liked Coors beer, so we would stockpile a dozen cases in the station wagon with us for the return trip because he could not get it here in Ohio. Now that he can get it east of the mississippi, I rarely ever see him drink it. Some things are worth more if you have to work for it. Drop me a line when your pie shop is up and running. Kansass is a long way to go for meat pies, but it could happen. Perhaps I will have some frozen and mailed...time will tell. Good luck with that. ;)
Last edited by kellory on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:01 am

JPH wrote:Hey! Maybe I could open my training center on a corner of your Kansas farm! You feed people pies and I make them vomit them back up! The circle of life....or maybe not.

When you get ready to do things, give me a call, I am always open to new adventures. Plus my daughter has the idea of putting small cabins on our place and doing the bed and breakfast type thing - apparently farm vacations are popular in some places. I am sure she would not mind the idea of having your customers staying in those cabins as part of their training program at your facility.

Just want to make sure they do not end up shooting any of my cows. :)
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:04 am

kellory wrote:My dad liked Coors beer, so we would stockpile a dozen cases in the station wagon with us for the return trip because he could not get it here in Ohio.

I remember that Coors beer craze - I had an Uncle in Illinois who would come back to KS and buy it, then take a carload of it back with him and resell it to his friends. Funny thing was, we always thought Coors was too watery so we drank Budwieser.
Aldo Leopold

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:21 am

Imagine this if you will, Your farm/ bed and breakfast/ pie shop, the Training Center, with maybe Woodsey as the caretaker/ ground keeper, with a large bass lake, and some good deer hunting ground, and White Oaks and apples bringing the deer and critters, mature Oaks for good mast and lumber harvest, Maybe an on site lumbermill to make a profit, and cut our own materials, We could make the bass lake a pay to fish, A lot of the guys on here would either be your staff or your customers! Wilderness survival training, boy scout Jambories, maybe repelling and rock climbing as well. Could rig a canopy cable ride through the woods (might even use it to scout without leaving much scent) cool way to arrive on stand as well! What else guys, What other skills or talents would fit in? How many sideline could we tie togeather here? Paintball, and grasslands for pheasant and rabbits, This could be an outdoorsman's DisneyLand! :D
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:34 am

Yes!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 am

Funny you should mention a bass lake - the 60 acres directly south of our place has a nice 7 acre pond/lake on it, but they want $4000/acre for the place. Maybe someday they will come down in price and we will be in a position to buy. Had the NRCS out for a visit to talk about water, they said we could pretty much put any size pond/lake on our place we wanted given the lay of the land and drainages - just a matter of digging holes and placing dams. That information gave my wife a vision of about half the place going under water and becoming more of a resort type place and less of a farm. Big dreams.

But for the rest of it, KS is a little flat for a lot of that stuff. Not to say somebody with some heavy equipment and dollars could change the terrain to be a bit more accomodating. I have this dream of owning the property with the big pond to the south, then connecting it to our smaller pond with a waterway and giving people boat rides between the two places. Maybe I will win the lottery.

Hey JPH - do you still own your place in MO. If so, not sure if it would be of any help, but I plan to haul our tractor North over Memorial Day holiday for about a week and do some work on our MO. place - I have a 6 foot tiller attachment that will put in awesome food plots. If interested let me know, I believe your place was pretty close to ours and I would be happy to take an afternoon and help you till in some plots. I was amazed at how well this tiller worked on the sod bound pasture in KS.
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:16 am

Just mentioned this to my wife. She tells me she has an instructor who builds ziplines and does training with them.
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:26 am

ranwin33 wrote:Hey JPH - do you still own your place in MO. If so, not sure if it would be of any help, but I plan to haul our tractor North over Memorial Day holiday for about a week and do some work on our MO. place - I have a 6 foot tiller attachment that will put in awesome food plots. If interested let me know, I believe your place was pretty close to ours and I would be happy to take an afternoon and help you till in some plots. I was amazed at how well this tiller worked on the sod bound pasture in KS.

Yes, I'm still there. I'd love to see you, even if it's just to BS.

I've kind of given up on the food plot thing but I'm looking at turning my tillable ground over to native grasses. Let me talk to my habitat management guy and see if the tiller would help. Either way I'm happy to put in a days work to help a neighbor. Call me.

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness