Web-based license sales and game-check system for Ohio

FFKEVIN

Web-based license sales and game-check system for Ohio

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:12 am

[font=tahoma]On March 1, 2010, the Ohio Division of Wildlife will have a [/font][font=tahoma]new Web-based license sales and game-check system[/font][font=tahoma][/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]"Deer & Turkey Hunters will be introduced to a new system that will allow them to easily and conveniently check game on the Internet, over the phone, or at any license sales outlet."[/font]

[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=20384[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]What does everyone think about this?  Good idea?  or bad idea?[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Where I hunt, we don't have internet or phone in our cabin, and our cell phones might have a signal, if you are lucky.  But, I think web and phone check in is pretty good idea, and I like the fact that you can still go and physically check it at a check station.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

OHhunter

RE: Web-based license sales and game-check system for Ohio

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 am

Good for poachers, bad for all the little mom and pop gas stations that look forward to the extra business that all the hunters bring in during the fall.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

VAHunter

Postby VAHunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:41 am

bad idea, as i have seen this first-hand in virginia.  mom and pops suffer a great deal, and poachers are the only ones that benefit.  we can also check in our game via a phone number provided by the VDGIF.  i've already heard several unethical hunters talking about how easy it is to get around the EAB policy in our northeast counties, by simply calling in a doe kill without actually harvesting a deer.  what is this going to do the integrity of the VDGIF's numbers at year end?  Will they still be able to come close to an accurate number of overall doe kills?  i'm a fan of the EAB policy in virginia, because of the bad wildlife management in many areas.

as for mom and pops, these were the places in which we would all congregate and admire the large bucks that someone bagged, or just plain told stories.  now the only reason to stop by the check-in stations is for a quick fill-up on gas. 

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:56 pm

this topic was touched on in a different thread, check it out

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=28&mpage=2&key=?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:45 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Good for poachers

ORIGINAL: VAHunter

poachers are the only ones that benefit

[font=tahoma]Hey guys,  I'm a little confused.  I was just curious on how you guys think that the poachers would be able to exploit this system any more than they do now?  What makes it eaiser for them to poach under this system?[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I agree with hurting the mom & pop stores that are check stations, but I'm confused about the poachers.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

derhunt

Postby derhunt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:20 pm

I think that it has its good and its bad, I dont know all the details on this but what or who is going to make sure that it is a doe and not a small buck ? or what zone it was taken in ? But one time I did drive for two hrs looking for a check in station that was open..But like I said I dont know all the details about it.. Then the last two deer that I have checked in the people never wanted to see the deer..but any way you look at it the poachers are going to find a way to work the system...I think that I will still go in to the mom and pops,if someone shoots a big one there not going home to the computer..

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:37 pm

not sure I like the idea I know its away for them to cut cost But nothing I really really want to do

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:59 am

[font=tahoma]I got this link in one of my e-mails from ODNR-[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]New License Sales and Game Check System ~ FAQs[/font][font=tahoma]
[/font]
[font=tahoma]Get answers to the most [/font][font=tahoma][color=#0066cc]commonly asked questions [/font][font=tahoma]about the new Web-based license sales and game-check system that will be implemented in 2010.[/font]

[/color]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:00 am

[font=tahoma]Here is the FAQ's from there web site - [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The following are the Frequently Asked Questions we have received about the proposed 2010 new licensing and game check system. [/font]
[font=tahoma]The concerns expressed were also some of the same concerns the Division of Wildlife had early on in the planning process for our new licensing and game check system.  After extensive research and planning, we feel confident that the new game check system will offer new enforcement capabilities and provide our wildlife biologists with the tools to manage Ohio's wildlife populations.[/font]

[font=tahoma]Will biological information still be collected on deer and turkey?[/font]
[font=tahoma]We will continue to collect scientifically valid data on deer and turkey harvests. The process will be different from the way we do it now, but the results will be the same, if not better. [/font]

[font=tahoma]Will hunters still comply with the new check-in system?[/font]
[font=tahoma]Other states have used check-in systems that do not require physical presentation on the animal and found that legal compliance is similar regardless of the method used. [/font]
[font=tahoma]After research and consultation with other Telecheck states, Ohio's wildlife managers and wildlife officers have made recommendations as to the best way to implement this new system. We believe this new system will strengthen and enhance the Division's fish and wildlife management practices and provide new wildlife enforcement capabilities in order to continue to enforce wildlife laws. [/font]

[font=tahoma]Has any research been done on the question of electronic compliance versus taking the game to a physical location? [/font]
[font=tahoma]In 2005, the Missouri Department of Conservation conducted an evaluation of their proposed Telecheck system and found identical harvest reporting rates among traditional (in-person) and Telecheck deer and turkey hunter groups.  [/font]

[font=tahoma]Won't poachers take advantage of this new system?[/font]
[font=tahoma]Poachers are unethical and will find a way to take advantage of any checking system, current or future. One of the most effective resources in combating poaching is the eyes and ears of Ohio's ethical sportsmen and women. Ohio's Turn In a Poacher (TIP) program is designed to involve the public in reporting wildlife violations. Citizens who observe wildlife violations should record the information on the TIP form and submit it electronically via e-mail from wildohio.com, call the TIP toll-free hotline (1-800-POACHER), or mail the form to Division of Wildlife, 2045 Morse Road, Columbus, Ohio, 43229. Tip form are available in the current Hunting Regulations publication and at wildohio.com.[/font]

[font=tahoma]The current system we have works fine, why change it?[/font]
[font=tahoma]This new method of deer/turkey check-in will save hundreds of staff hours previously devoted to simple transfer of paper slips; freeing up personnel to work on more important biological or law enforcement activities. 

The telephone and internet game check will provide a number of benefits including immediate access to harvest data and significantly improved law enforcement capabilities.  [/font]

[font=tahoma]Isn't this new phone or internet checking idea risky?[/font]
[font=tahoma]Phone or internet checking, although new to Ohio, has been used very successfully in a number of southeastern and Midwestern states such as Kentucky, Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois.  Minnesota will join the group in 2009.[/font]

[font=tahoma]How can I check my deer or turkey?[/font]
[font=tahoma]With the new system, hunters will be able to complete game-check transactions in one of three ways:
1. On the internet using secured access to the division's database.
2. Over the telephone using an automated voice response system. 
3. At an authorized license sales outlet.  [/font]

[font=tahoma]Will eliminating the metal tag make it harder for wildlife officers to enforce the law?[/font]
[font=tahoma]What is important in the tagging system is the number, not the metal tag it is printed on. In the new system, the unique number will be provided to the hunter once the game check transaction has been completed. That number will provide wildlife officers with all the information they need.  
The new system will be the same as the current system up to the point of permanent tagging/checking of the deer. Hunters will still be required to immediately place a temporary tag on their deer at the place where it fell. Hunters will then have three options for obtaining a permanent tag number.[/font]
[font=tahoma]Just as they are today, deer will be required to have a permanent tag number attached to them before they are left with a meat processor, taxidermist or are butchered by the hunter. Additionally, all deer and deer parts in a person's possession will be required to have the permanent tag number attached to them.[/font]

[font=tahoma]What will happen to my local check station?[/font]
[font=tahoma]The Division of Wildlife will be available to help check station operators determine the options available for their business. With the implementation of the new system, only license sales outlets will be official game check stations via the system. If the existing check stations do not chose to become a license sales outlet, they can remain an important part of the hunting experience by providing their own Internet or telephone access to their customers who may not have such access at their homes. [/font]
[font=tahoma]Businesses that choose to assist hunters in game check should announce that service in any print or radio advertisements. Business should also post signage announcing to hunters that your business will assist in the game check option. They should also consider hanging photos and holding contests that continue to promote the hunting heritage.  [/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 am

[font=tahoma]Here is a link to the new Wild Ohio Customer Relationship Management System (WOCRMS) web site -[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=20384[/font]

Next

Return to Ohio