PA Laws.

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
NWPAHunter

PA Laws.

Postby NWPAHunter » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:08 am

I appluad the PGC for starting the Mentored Youth Program, what I don't understand is my 9 year old daughter can hunt buck 3" spike or better without a liscnse or a safety course, but if I get a doe tag I can't give it to her to shoot a doe.... Last season she had saw 8 doe by 9am opening day of rfile season, while I had a doe tag in my pocket.... I didn't have the heart to shoot a deer in front of her while she was waiting for a buck. I shoot doe for the meat, and have shot my share, I should be able to give my kids my tag if I so choose.

bunyun

RE: PA Laws.

Postby bunyun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Sunday hunting: Now this has always confused me....there aren't too many states that deny hunting on Sundays but Pennsylvania is one of those states (with some exceptions). Why? Why can they allow the killing of crows, chipmunks and whatever else on Sundays but not big and small game? I have hated this law ever since I was twelve...the first thing I said to my dad when he told me this (after him telling me it was because god doesn't believe in killing on Sunday) was "why can we fish on Sunday then...? fish have brains...fish have hearts...what's the difference dad"...He said "shoosh! your being too loud, we are trying to hunt here". That was the last time we ever talked about that. If PA won't allow hunting on Sunday...then be consistant and don't allow hunting of any kind... and that goes for fishing too! We'll see how that goes with the activists taking their kids fishing on Sunday. I still hunt PA from time to time but I live in another state now and the people here cannot believe that law. They actually thought I was kidding.

NWPAHunter

Postby NWPAHunter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:27 pm

There is a small movement to legalize Sunday hunting but it gets squashed by landowners and activists.  "They don't want bullets whizzing around 7 days a weeks." Its basically an old Blue Law that hasn't been phased out yet. I would love to hunt Sundays, and fully support the measure. I feel its nothing more than a matter of time before it will hapen I am guessing within 5 years. But this season isn't soon enough. Good post, good points Bunyun.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:23 am

ORIGINAL: NWPAHunter

There is a small movement to legalize Sunday hunting but it gets squashed by landowners and activists.  "They don't want bullets whizzing around 7 days a weeks." Its basically an old Blue Law that hasn't been phased out yet. I would love to hunt Sundays, and fully support the measure. I feel its nothing more than a matter of time before it will hapen I am guessing within 5 years. But this season isn't soon enough. Good post, good points Bunyun.

PA Council Seeks Dialog on Hunting's Future

Last update: 1:15 p.m. EDT Aug. 29, 2008

HARRISBURG, Pa.,, Aug 29, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
The Governor's Advisory Council for Hunting, Fishing and Conservation wants to hear from residents, especially sportsmen's clubs and recreation organizations, about how to improve the hunting experience in Pennsylvania.

"More than any other reason, people hunt because it gives them the opportunity to get together for outdoor recreation with family and friends," said Council Member Linda Steiner.
"Hunting is a social phenomena passed on from generation to generation. And while the desire to put food on the table may have been more of a motivating factor in the past, it has been surpassed by the desire to spend quality time with a daughter or son, aunt or uncle."

Concerned about the steady decline in hunting participation, Steiner said the council views the problem as an opportunity for policymakers to look for fresh ideas about how to reverse the downward trend.

Hunting license sales have fallen 28 percent from 1981 to 2007 and projections indicate that another 24 percent decline may occur by 2025. According to a recent study, "Fishing and Hunting Recruitment in the U.S. from 1990 to 2005," by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, time constraints appear to be the biggest barrier to increasing hunting participation.

Individuals and organizations interested in learning more about expanding hunting opportunities should contact the Governor's Advisory Council for Hunting, Fishing and Conservation by calling 717-772-3292.

"Giving people more time to hunt may very well be the best way to solve the long-term decline in hunting," Steiner said. "The biggest obstacle we've discovered comes in the form of an archaic 'blue law' that prohibits hunting when people are most likely to have available time, during the weekend."

"Interestingly, most surrounding states, including Maryland, Ohio, New York and West Virginia, now allow people to hunt on both days of the weekend. These states have experienced few of the problems some people assume would plague Pennsylvania, such as increased posting of private land. Not one of these states has plans to repeal the added day," Steiner said. "Given the positive experience in other states, the advisory council believes that doing away with the 'blue law' is worth considering."

Pennsylvania dropped its ban on Sunday fishing in 1937, and other blue laws, such as those limiting the sale of liquor and beer, have been greatly relaxed. With the exception of car sales, hunting remains the only activity that's restricted on Sunday in Pennsylvania.

"Understandably, this topic can stir a range of emotions even among hunters, not to mention other users such as hikers and bicyclists," Steiner said.

"Undoubtedly, there will be long-term consequences if we don't address the decline in hunting and fishing. Nationally, hunters and anglers have been the largest contributors to government wildlife programs for game and non-game species, contributing over $10 billion for conservation and more than 80 percent of the funding our state fish and wildlife agencies rely on. All of us who care about wildlife and wild places should be concerned. It's time we started to think about how we can encourage more hunters, and what hunters are telling us is that they need more time to hunt."

Legislation has been introduced in the House of Representatives (House Bill 779) that would remove the prohibition on Sunday hunting, allowing the Pennsylvania Game Commission to fully regulate hunting on Sunday.

Most people assume that deer hunting would be considered part of any expansion, but the inclusion of other species, such as waterfowl, turkey and grouse, would interest hunters.

SOURCE Pennsylvania Governor?s Advisory Council for Hunting, Fishing & Conservation

BTW, what part of NWPA are you in?

NWPAHunter

Postby NWPAHunter » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:30 pm

Warren PA.
Looks like we may be picking up some momentum. The only problem is that that the will leave it to the PGC to set seasons and species for Sundays. What we have experienced in the past is that landowners who have their land enrolled in PGC programs threaten to pull their land out of the programs. The part of that post that was scary is

"Understandably, this topic can stir a range of emotions even among hunters, not to mention other users such as hikers and bicyclists," Steiner said

Don't know how many hikers and bicyclist actually get off trail systems. They dont usually wander haphazardly through the forest. I know when I go hunting I get away from those types of trails and areas because I don't want a bunch of people wandering by messing up my hunting.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 pm

ORIGINAL: NWPAHunter

Warren PA.
Looks like we may be picking up some momentum. The only problem is that that the will leave it to the PGC to set seasons and species for Sundays. What we have experienced in the past is that landowners who have their land enrolled in PGC programs threaten to pull their land out of the programs. The part of that post that was scary is

"Understandably, this topic can stir a range of emotions even among hunters, not to mention other users such as hikers and bicyclists," Steiner said

Don't know how many hikers and bicyclist actually get off trail systems. They dont usually wander haphazardly through the forest. I know when I go hunting I get away from those types of trails and areas because I don't want a bunch of people wandering by messing up my hunting.

I'm up in Erie, got family in Warren too. I am writing up a document and making a few phone calls on this, shoot me an email if you want to help make it happen.

NWPAHunter

Postby NWPAHunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:32 am

Email sent.....

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 am

Someone mentioned being able to hunt on Sundays in MD.  THis is only the case in a select few counties (Low populated), for certain select weekends, and i am pretty sure it is only allowed on private property.  While this is a good start, it still only benefits a very small portion of the hunting public in MD.

There should not be a distinction made between counties.  I can almost understand public vs. private, but why some counties and not others?  Any why only some Sundays and not others?

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 pm

The dumbest rationale I've ever heard for no sunday hunting is "the deer need a day of rest from constant hunting pressure".  Last I heard, coyotes, bears and feral dogs must not have gotten the memo, cause I doubt they stop pursuing deer on sundays, only to start back up monday morning.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:46 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

The dumbest rationale I've ever heard for no sunday hunting is "the deer need a day of rest from constant hunting pressure".  Last I heard, coyotes, bears and feral dogs must not have gotten the memo, cause I doubt they stop pursuing deer on sundays, only to start back up monday morning.

You mean to say that these animals are heathens? [:@]

Next

Return to Dumb deer laws