If it was legal

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
GTOHunter

RE: If it was legal

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:52 am

I would have to say NO to Baiting and a especially "NO" to spotlighting Deer at night.There is no Fair Chase to spotlighting and I would much rather do without getting a deer than doing it in a way I feel is ethically wrong.Around here even spotlighting deer at night without a gun can get you in trouble for stressing out the deer and possibly get you a ticket.

Here in Missouri "Baiting" is illegal..........Food Plots and Minerals are fine and legal to use unless for some reason in the future the laws would change other wise.Each State is different and have their own laws,like Illinois not allowing you to hunt with Rifles yet here in Missouri we can,some laws are made to protect us while others are made to benefit the Wildlife!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 pm

So I take it salt isnt against the law then? Wouldnt that be considered baiting? I feel no rifles is a good thing here, there are too many zinging shotgun slugs wizzing around anyway. Maybe its a little more flatter in most of IL, with too many hunters as well. I see shot guns more as a safer way to hunt then a beneifit to wildlife, I have no problem tagging deer every year.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:07 pm

For the record:  Baiting is illegal in Pennsylvania, but it is being considered in the special regulations areas (usually high deer concentration areas near big cities with limited hunting opportunity).  Jacklighting, or spotting is illegal as far as shooting at deer, but it is legal to shine fields before 11:00 PM just to observe deer as long as you dont shine buildings and dont have a weapon in the car.

Previous

Return to Best Practices