What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FFKEVIN

RE: What is baiting.

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:25 am

Well everyone, we finally have proof.  EatDeer thinks he is GOD. [:D]

I said  - "anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait."

EatDeer replied - "When a buck travels into the cross winds, he is being baited? Moon phase is baiting deer as well? Deer drinking water out of a 50 mile long creek are baited?"

So EatDeer can control the wind, make the moon change phases, and he puts water in the creeks.  [8D]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:37 am

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

Well everyone, we finally have proof.  EatDeer thinks he is GOD.

I said  - "anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait."

EatDeer replied - "When a buck travels into the cross winds, he is being baited? Moon phase is baiting deer as well? Deer drinking water out of a 50 mile long creek are baited?"

So EatDeer can control the wind, make the moon change phases, and he puts water in the creeks.

Wow, has this turned into, get EatDeer?

This is about, what is baiting, not what is a bait. And it certainly isn`t about attackes on the posters.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 am

Deer browse in the woods, they can consume the same types of forbes that are in a food plot. It doesnt make a differance to the deer if a man planted them or not. I've seen deer in the woods at sunset many times more than I have seen them at my plots at the same time. If a farmer leaves a couple acres of crop in a field, it can be considered a plot, but it is still a food source just like a plot, regardless of if a hunter or farmer planted it.  Now a pile of corn or salt block under a deer stand, now that is clearly a hunting area with a bait source. That is truly baiting as much as a deer feeder slinging corn at 6:30 am every morning. Just like when that same hunter only sets out enough bait for a deer's daily use only.        When I use hunting scents, I lure a deer into shooting range.  When I use a decoy, I clearly am "decoying" a deer within shooting range. If I use a deer call, I am "calling to deer", NOT BAITING.  When a deer urinates on the ground, it's no different than if someone dumps deer urine on the ground.  That practice just simulates a deer doing the same thing.  Same goes for mock scrapes and real scrapes, it's simulation, a hunting tactic. Baiting in my book is defined as a hunter that baits deer to a hunting area, with a corn, apples or salt, etc., with the intent of harvesting the baited deer. I am not for baiting, it clearly spreads disease, and is also unhealthy for the deer when done incorrectly, which is the case for the most part. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:25 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Call it what you want what ever makes you feel better about yourself.. No I havnt heard human urine attracts deer you keep urinating by your stand its not for me.
There has been studies done that declared bucks are just as attracted to human urine as they are any other urine. It's even quoted in last months issue...you must have missed that? I've heard of guys urinating in thier mock scrapes, then seeing huge bucks marking the scrape afterwards. I've even seen the pictures.  

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:16 am

I wasn't trying to attack anyone, and I'm sorry if that's how it came off. I was just trying to be sarcastic.  (I'll go back and add some smiley faces... [:o] [X(] [:D] )

I just think you guys are missing the point. 

Maybe I misunderstood it, but the question that started this all, asked - "wondering what you consider baiting?"  Not, what is illegal or unethical, or what you do or not do.  Not what the state DNR should ban or if we consider food plots baiting then they will ban them. 

Just "What is baiting?"

I think because it is the word "BAIT" or "BAITING" it pulls out a negative response in people.  Maybe because states have banned some types of baiting and hunters don't want to feel like they are breaking any rules...  I don't know.  Maybe we should start another thread that asks "What do you consider luring?

I think, (again MY opinion) if you put something, anything, into the woods, (and it would not be there if it weren't for you), in order to bring deer in, you are baiting.  Call it luring, attracting, baiting, or whatever you want to call it. But we do these things for one purpose, to bring and keep deer on the land we want to hunt.  Keep in mind, I am FOR baiting or luring!!!

The main point of my baiting definition, is the INTENT of the hunter to alter the landscape or surroundings in order to draw more deer into the area!

A farmer doesn't plant his fields to attract deer. So that is not baiting.  But, if you pay the farmer to not harvest a section of the field so the deer will come there to eat, then that is baiting.   (Again, I'm not talking legally, just by the definition)

If a doe comes by and pees on the ground, that is not baiting.  But if you spray store bought doe pee around for the purpose of attracting a buck, then that is baiting.

If deer come and eat natural forest plants and you shoot them while doing so, not baiting.  But if you spend time and money planting a nice food plot so that deer will come onto your land, at whatever time, then that is baiting.

If a buck sees a doe in woods and chases her, the doe is not baiting.  But if you put out a doe decoy, some doe pee, and use your can call so the buck will come into your shooting lane to check it out, then that is baiting.

If a buck makes a scrape, and you hunt over it, it is not baiting.  But if you make a scrape and pour store bought buck pee in it (or pee in it yourself), now it is baiting.

I could keep going but I think I've made my point.  As I said in my first post - "There are different degrees and different types of baiting".  I will agree with you guys, that having a spin timer feeder, feeding the deer only at certain times of the day so you pattern the deer is DEFINITELY baiting.  But so is the food plot that the deer come to every night right before sunset.

I think I have explained my views as best I could.  And again I apologize if I came off like I was attacking someone. [&:]  EatDeer and I definitely have different opinions on a lot of issues, but that is what makes America great.  We can believe what we want and nobody can make us think different. I respect that he has different views than I do. 

Good luck hunting - with or without bait!!! [:D]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Eatdeer I must have missed the article, so mybe I will try urinating by my stand, might serve as good bait. Maybe I can shoot a 200 incher.  looks like your secret is out.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:17 pm

Maybe you could put a trail cam over looking a mock scrape you urineated in, and have the proof yourself, if that will even convince you?     I used to think deer that smell human urine would scamper away, and avoid the area, but it really isnt the case. Hard as it is to believe, some of the proof I saw was from about 10 regular QDMA forum poster's trail cam pics and hunting observations over mock scrapes that were urinated in by a hunter. All urine is basicly made of the same compounds, to a deer its a territorial marking scent. Do your self a favor, and leave your urine bottle at home, it's useless. In fact one of the guys killed a 180" buck over a scrape he urinated on , before the hunt.  I think the article that mentions human urine is "antler illness" but I could be mistaken. My "secret" was sitting in my stand all day, for more than 20 years every season.                                                               You ever do that when your hunting? BTW, You have as much chance at harvesting a buck over 200", as you do winning a million dollar lottery. [;)]

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Tree stand hunting is one form I have never been able to get into, I always have to see whats over the next rise...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:47 pm

I've seen over the hill, and I'm not missing out on anything that didn't walk by my ladder stand anyway.[:)]

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 am

The problem here is that the question is what is baiting...and that definition has been defined...clearly

the problem that some of us have is that there are two types of baiting..legal and illegal baiting...

some of are focused on saying we are not baiting because of the illegal conotation that is put on it

but realy we all bait... the debate is whether we are in the right to " condition deer" to come to a spot and is that really hunting or just harvesting...

that is something we all have to answer for ourselves... and the individuals experience and difficulty level a hunter wants to achive...tred Barta..loves it the hard way...spot and stalk with a long bow

i have friends that call my Mathews high tech bow a bow with training wheels..hey its up to you

hunt ethically...but by all means hunt!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions