Assault Rifles

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
11clemens

Assault Rifles

Postby 11clemens » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:38 am

Here is some pretty good information for you guys with assault rifles. Hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4498494_correct ... rifle.html

hunter480

RE: Assault Rifles

Postby hunter480 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:49 am

Huge pet peeve of mine, the term "assault rifle"...........

Civillians, unless you have the Federal stamp, which allows the Jack-booted goons from the batfe to enter your abode, anytime, day or night, do not own assault rifles. Assault rifles fire 3-shot bursts, or full auto. Most of us, myself included, own AR`s that, cosmetically are like a military rifle, but that`s where the similarity ends. My AR, although, shooting the Nato 5.56 mm round, (strikingly close to the .223), is much closer to any semi-automaic deer rifle.

I chastise the local media in the Indianapolis area regularily, as they are prone to call any military "looking" weapon, an assault rifle. For a short time, the Indianapolis Star had begun to refer to them as "military style" weapons, but, they`ve slid back to using the assault rifle terminology.

I know it can seem like a very minor point of contention, but consider carefully what ammunition you give to our enemys. The non-gun owning public hears that citizens have "assault weapons", and oh my gosh, that can`t be allowed.

Typically, if given truthful data, the non-gun owning, non-hunting public will side with hunters and Second Amendment supporters most of the time. Reporters, whether newspaper, or news station, I`ve found, feel no obligation to carefully research, and understand firearms before firing off whatever terminology sounds the most dramatic, therefore, selling more newspapers, or drawing a bigger audiance to the telecast.

This is but one way, at the grassroots level, we can truly make a significant difference.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Well put Hunter!

My thoughts exactly.

My AR is very similiar to a Remington 7400. you pull the trigger and one round goes off with each rifle

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:04 pm

indeed

every firearm we have today began at some point as a millitary weapon.
hopefully some day the ar platform as well as some others will recieve the credit they deserve as fine examples of firearm engineering and not just somthing to be feared and loathed.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

11clemens

Postby 11clemens » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Mulligan?  Seeing as how I am new here, and don't want to start off on the wrong foot, I'm going to eat this one.  I'll contact the staff to remove this thread, and repost it without using to taboo "assault rifle."  Thanks.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:46 pm

i apoligize if i offended that was in no way my intention in posting.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

ORIGINAL: 11clemens

Mulligan?  Seeing as how I am new here, and don't want to start off on the wrong foot, I'm going to eat this one.  I'll contact the staff to remove this thread, and repost it without using to taboo "assault rifle."  Thanks.

Please don`t misunderstand. I don`t think anyone was upset at all, it was just an observation, albeit, one we feel is important. No need at all to remove, or repost. This is exactly how we get into the really important discussions.

You`ve nothing wrong, quite the contrary, you`ve opened the door to meaningful debate.

11clemens

Postby 11clemens » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:25 pm

No offense taken.  For a military man that's been in Iraq for the last 13 months, the term "assault rifle" kind of just rolls off the tongue.  That term is not taboo in the military.  Thanks for being understanding, and I will try to have a more civilian mindset before posting something like this again. 

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 am

thank you so much for your service. without people like yourself we would notbe having this conversation at all. we all are idebted to you.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:29 am

11Clemens,

Dont worry, it will get easier to say AR as i was in your situation about 3 years ago. It's kind of funny how easy it is to say what ever you feel like over there and then you get home and are almost shunned sometimes for your new enlightened way of thinking huh?

Next

Return to Best Practices