Scent for Scrapes

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingshunting

Scent for Scrapes

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 am

Many of you will think i am absolutely crazy for the following, but i swear i read an article on this (Charles Aslheimer i think) but i can't find it.....

In the article, the author mentioned when creating a mock scrape, one can simply use their own urine within the scrape as the basis for the scrape.

I am not sure about this myself.  It seems to go against scent control.

Along the same line, when on stand, do you attempt to bottle or do you just let it go over the side of you stand?

shaman

RE: Scent for Scrapes

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:30 am

As long as the deer doesn't happen by in the first hour (according to my source) it is indistinguishable from anything else.  Lord how they did that research is beyond me-- I don't want to know.  I've taken to peeing in scrapes. If you come back the next day, you can see some of them have been hammered overnight. Others have been left.

I've seen a young doe roll on my scent pad, and another pay peculiar attention to my son's wiz off the stand. It's a strange world out there.

I used to hold it for hours, until one of my sons had to do #1 really, really bad. I'd heard about deer not minding human urine, and it was getting close to going in anyway. I had him just wiz off the stand.  Less than 15 minutes later, in comes a deer.  I've had that repeat over the years, and now I have made the mid-morning aerial leak a ritual.  I don't think it's the scent.  I think it's the sound.  Deer in the fall woods are particularly keyed to the sound of nuts falling to the ground.  I think they hear a boisterous #1 coming from on high and they mistake it for either a lot of acorns falling at once or a squirrel scampering across a dew-clad branch. 

Bottom line:  I won't go as far as to call Shamanic #1 a deer attractant, but I will say that it is at least deer-neutral.

You didn't mention #2, but I will.  I don't know why, but it seems every time I do #2 in the fall woods, I end up with deer watching me.  This is 20+ years experience talking, so don't scoff.  I don't know, but I think they are fascinated at how we do it--just like toddlers and dogs. So far, I can account for one bow kill as an indirect result of  #2 (long story), but I have had numerous encounters.

I have  built an outhouse at the back of the property that is in easy walking distance of two of my better stands. If nature calls, I can do a short stalk back and forth and be back up in my stand in under 30 minutes.  While I'm there, I keep the door open and the rifle at the ready.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:52 am

For the last 8 years, I used Woods Walker's Premiun Scent.

The price is right (FREE!)

It's easy to transport (you don't even know you're carrying it!)

It works (or at least as well as the other $$$ scents...which is to say that it doesn't drive them away)

And the best part....It comes with it's own multipurpose applicator!!!!

Truth:  I've actually used it to freshen a scrape, and the next morning it was ripped up again.  (The scrape, not the applicator...) 

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:57 am

You didn't mention #2, but I will. I don't know why, but it seems every time I do #2 in the fall woods, I end up with deer watching me. This is 20+ years experience talking, so don't scoff. I don't know, but I think they are fascinated at how we do it--just like toddlers and dogs. So far, I can account for one bow kill as an indirect result of #2 (long story), but I have had numerous encounters.

That's probably because they think:

"My goodness! Have you ever heard a buck grunt like that before??  Let's go over to see if he isn't sick or something!"

If I were you, I'd have a manequin made of a guy squatting and hunt over it. You could bring a whoopie cushion with you to use as a "call"......I WILL draw that line though at attractant scents.....

Or would that be considered "baiting"?  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:13 am

It's funny you bring that up.  Back in 2003, I was up in my stand before legal shooting on Opening Day, when I heard a major ruckus coming from the direction of the outhouse.  It sounded like a drunk staggering around and getting sick. At one point, you could hear him bumping against the side of the privy and banging the door.  It was really nasty. All I could think of was what kind of mess was going to be in the outhouse when I got there. Then the sound went away and a huge buck came pounding down the ravine past my stand.

I was so mad at that drunk for scaring off good deer.  I was just getting ready to get down and give that drunk a piece of my mind when I heard a grunt.  It dawned on me that I'd heard two bucks fighting, and the loser had been the one running away.  I pooted on my grunt call and the winner of the match-up came walking in. I was tagged out on bucks before the season was 10 minutes old.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:14 am

This year I've been trying 2 new things...made 6 scrapes....starting 2wks ago...way early....... I put goat bedding in 3....long handled shovel dug a foot deep ..then covered...other 3.... I try tinks new power scrape...loosed dirt with shovel then sprayed on top...can't smell the stuff myself at all.....the goat scrapes have been tore up and the tinks just walked over....I put goat bedding in a bucket of water ...and then use that water to freshen the scrapes once a week...will continue this until hunting.... Oct 18....if I don't see better results from tinks they'er getting a phone call ...it cost ten $$

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:16 am

Last year I made a mock scrape as well as added my scent to primary scrape, and for 3 days* both were visited and roughed up considerably.

*on the 3rd day he made it into someones freezer (just not mine)

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:58 am

P, its free
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:22 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

This year I've been trying 2 new things...made 6 scrapes....starting 2wks ago...way early....... I put goat bedding in 3....long handled shovel dug a foot deep ..then covered...other 3.... I try tinks new power scrape...loosed dirt with shovel then sprayed on top...can't smell the stuff myself at all.....the goat scrapes have been tore up and the tinks just walked over....I put goat bedding in a bucket of water ...and then use that water to freshen the scrapes once a week...will continue this until hunting.... Oct 18....if I don't see better results from tinks they'er getting a phone call ...it cost ten $$

msbadger: With ALL due respect, and please don't take offense, but I'm dead serious.......

If I were you, I wouldn't spend a CENT on buying commercial scents, as YOU are in possession of what is probably THE best buck lure made.  The phermones that Ms. Doe walks around with are the same ones that YOU possess. I would DEFINATELY try that. I can almost GUARANTEE you that you will see positive results. At the worst, all they may do is ignore it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:56 am

I second what Woods Walker said.    You got what the bucks want.  I used to ask my first wife for . . . well, you know.  She absolutely wouldn't. 

Next

Return to General Discussions