What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FFKEVIN

RE: What is baiting.

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:42 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

The problem here is that the question is what is baiting...and that definition has been defined...clearly

the problem that some of us have is that there are two types of baiting..legal and illegal baiting...

some of are focused on saying we are not baiting because of the illegal connotation that is put on it

but really we all bait... the debate is whether we are in the right to " condition deer" to come to a spot and is that really hunting or just harvesting...

that is something we all have to answer for ourselves... and the individuals experience and difficulty level a hunter wants to achive...tred Barta..loves it the hard way...spot and stalk with a long bow

i have friends that call my Mathews high tech bow a bow with training wheels..hey its up to you

hunt ethically...but by all means hunt!!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself... 

Nice post dtrain56!!!  Very well put!!! [:D]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 am

There sure is alot of hair splitting going on here. Why would anyone criticize the way some else hunts as long it is legal. He who is without sin cast the first stone. I think I read that somewhere...

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:28 am

ORIGINAL: jacannon63

There sure is alot of hair splitting going on here. Why would anyone criticize the way some else hunts as long it is legal. He who is without sin cast the first stone. I think I read that somewhere...

When I was young and a new hunter, I thought I was the most ethical bastard on earth, if I wasn't doing it you shouldn't either, or so I thought...One day my cousin asked me to go hound hunting, for bear and such, I thought why whats the sport in that, I went had a blast and thats the day I decided to give everything a try and have an open mind..Then when I started seeing hunting getting outlawed I really started getting mad and fed up with the self righteous  ignorant hunters that vote to outlaw forms of hunting...You do and will feel betrayed...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:28 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

Baiting...yes baiting is doing anything to attract an animal to a specific site...for harvest...we all bait

that is why some people get so fired up because they feel they are more rightgeous and they are above baiting, so they justify what they are doing by excuses or classifications

if I fish i am baiting the hook whether, i use a worm, a lure, or a fish trap..

it is the same thing for hunting, if you food plot, put down corn, use mineral licks , use scents, use rattling horns, doe bleet, grunt tube ...they are all used to attract and draw in game...there for they are baiting...they are baiting the animal to come eat, invetigate...or what ever

don't be above it ...embrass it...unless you are still hunting thru big woods in canada or maine or some other vast forest most likley you are baiting

hey its ok...what ever increases your chances...hunting is hard enough!!!!why not help yourself out.
I'd like to see you to catch as many fish with lures, versus using live bait minows. I'd also don't see the difference in baiting "big woods" or anywhere else...your still baiting. According to you unless your Tred, and your using a longbow...your baiting? The point is, you have to be able to draw the line as to what truly considered baiting wild deer by hunters. Another thing, 100 pounds of corn dosen't grow in one spot on the ground every month, and your demanding that plots be called "bait" is not going to legalise "real" deer baiting anytime soon in my state. I'll stick with calling food plots, "food plots" because thats what they are, they not bait, and plots are not outlawed here. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:53 am

If you bait and it's legal then more power to you.  If it were legal where I hunt, who knows, I might give it a shot, particularly if I was having a slow season. 

But don't call it hunting.  Sitting in a tower blind in Texas over a bait pile or spread corn isn't hunting, sitting in a blind over a corn pile in Michigan isn't hunting (ala Ted N.) either.  It's waiting and shooting, but not hunting.  There isn't any hunting involved in it. 

I suppose it all comes down to what results you want to get from the experience - a dead deer or the joy of being in the woods and experiencing the outdoors with the possiblity that I just may outsmart a deer.  Personally I prefer both, but I can only get both by hunting, not shooting over a bait pile. 

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:13 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

If you bait and it's legal then more power to you.  If it were legal where I hunt, who knows, I might give it a shot, particularly if I was having a slow season. 

But don't call it hunting.  Sitting in a tower blind in Texas over a bait pile or spread corn isn't hunting, sitting in a blind over a corn pile in Michigan isn't hunting (ala Ted N.) either.  It's waiting and shooting, but not hunting.  There isn't any hunting involved in it. 

I suppose it all comes down to what results you want to get from the experience - a dead deer or the joy of being in the woods and experiencing the outdoors with the possiblity that I just may outsmart a deer.  Personally I prefer both, but I can only get both by hunting, not shooting over a bait pile. 

I think this begs the question then ...What is hunting?  IMO that needs to be defined by the individual hunter.  In truth you could say that sitting in a box blind or truck blind overlooking spread corn is only shooting and I would agree with you....if the deer come out for you to shoot.  You still have moon phases, wind, fluctuating temps, rut,ect to contend with.  We put out corn and food plots both ...it is not a magic bullet.  I understand that nowadays hunting is more of a pursuit rather than a necessary element to keeping alive; however by its very nature hunting is the pursuit of a game animal for harvest and consumption.  I too love just being there on the stand and watching the animals and occasionally out smarting them with the end result being jalapeno and cheese stuffed backstraps.  Just because I do it over corn or clover doesnt mean all I have to do is show up and shoot.  My personal philosophy is that anything leading up to the point where you take the safety off or draw the bow can be considered the hunt.  Your skills and or advantages such as corn , tinks, or camo clothes all play a part.  After the gun is off safety or you are drawn it is ALL shooting....there is no skill set left except for marksmanship that can be applied.  IMO

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:00 am

I agree with Hunter480 on his explaination ( probably one of the few times I agree with him [:D] ) .
A food plot , rattling , deer scents , grunt tube aren't going to bring anything in at a predetermined time or place like a feeder or corn pile !  It's like comparing apples to oranges ........[8|]

rudy1969

Postby rudy1969 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:06 am

My state, Indiana, does not allow "baiting".  But, on state property they leave about half of the crops in the field to attract and feed wildlife.  I believe there is somewhat of a double standard going on.  You can intentionally leave planted corn in a field for wildlife but you can't throw corn on the ground for the same wildlife.  I don't make the rules just follow them.

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 am

Gotta couple of questions on this topic.
 1 What's the difference between pouring scent on a scrape and pouring some C' Mere Deer on the ground?
 2 If the guy that puts out 100 pounds of corn plants a 1/4 acre food plot in the same spot, and doesn't put out any more corn, is this baiting?

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:53 am

I got to disagree with you Eddie and normally I don't.  I feed-bait-lure whatever by the ton as do most around here and predetermined place? Yes.  Predetermined time ?  No, not hardly.  I know it looks like with a auto feeder that would be the case and sometimes when the conditions are all right then yes, they will come in just before or after the feeder goes off.  With gravity feeders or just corn piles then they come by when they feel like it.  If the acorns are falling, ruts on or full moon your chances are no better than on a food plot or a funnel for that matter...actually I've got feeders on food plots and even that doesn't make em come in every time, on time like the popular mythos about baiting says.  I still think predetermined place works for both food plots and feeders.  Also with the scent bombs, grunt tubes, ect they do bring a deer in to a predetermined time and place IF (big if here) the conditions are right and the deer is receptive.  It just so happens the time and place is right there --right then.  All of it is Lures or attractants and really fit under the Webster definition of bait.  Do matter what it is the conditions have to be right for it to work.  A feed style attractant works best most of the time because the animal eats 365 but only breeds or thinks about breeding for a few months out of the year.We hunters just argue about it because of our different backgrounds and different state laws.  IMO

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions