Thermacell

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

RE: Thermacell

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:25 am

ORIGINAL: deerhunter713

but there was some odor that came from the unit.  I don't know if it was the repellent pad or what it was, but I could smell some odor and I'm not sure if I'll use it during early bow season

I bought the product htis year as well for bow season. They (everyone) inisists that deer cannot smell it. We'll see.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

but there was some odor that came from the unit.  I don't know if it was the repellent pad or what it was, but I could smell some odor and I'm not sure if I'll use it during early bow season

I bought the product htis year as well for bow season. They (everyone) inisists that deer cannot smell it. We'll see.

I've yet to use mine for deer season, but I do know some guys that have used them in Canada for bear hunting, and they claim that they've had no adverse effects.

But on that point, consider this:

Just because deer can smell them, DOESN'T necessarily mean that they will be scared off by it.  Maybe after enough of them are in use, and they begin to associate their odor with A THREAT, they will then be spooked by it.  Just a thought.

Example:

Years ago (and for you young snot-nosed whippersnappers that were hunting for your blankies in the 80's...this applies to YOU! [;)] ), there was a product called "Skunk Skreen" out that was supposed to be a Godsend for deer hunters as a cover scent. I was a synthetic skunk odor, and it smelled EXACTLY like the real thing. It came in two parts, and you mixed part A with part B when you got to your stand.

Anyway, it took a year or so, and then every bowhunter I knew was using it. Hey.....skunk are a natural animal in the woods, right? So what better cover scent!  Weeeeeell.......after a couple of years, many deer in hard hunted areas started being spooked off when they caught the odor of skunk!  Maybe because every time they smelled it they either SAW a man, or had an arrow go whizzing over their back.  Experience is the best teacher!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:52 am

deleted

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:51 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I've yet to use mine for deer season, but I do know some guys that have used them in Canada for bear hunting, and they claim that they've had no adverse effects.

But on that point, consider this:

Just because deer can smell them, DOESN'T necessarily mean that they will be scared off by it.  Maybe after enough of them are in use, and they begin to associate their odor with A THREAT, they will then be spooked by it.  Just a thought.

Example:

Years ago (and for you young snot-nosed whippersnappers that were hunting for your blankies in the 80's...this applies to YOU! [;)] ), there was a product called "Skunk Skreen" out that was supposed to be a Godsend for deer hunters as a cover scent. I was a synthetic skunk odor, and it smelled EXACTLY like the real thing. It came in two parts, and you mixed part A with part B when you got to your stand.

Anyway, it took a year or so, and then every bowhunter I knew was using it. Hey.....skunk are a natural animal in the woods, right? So what better cover scent!  Weeeeeell.......after a couple of years, many deer in hard hunted areas started being spooked off when they caught the odor of skunk!  Maybe because every time they smelled it they either SAW a man, or had an arrow go whizzing over their back.  Experience is the best teacher!
I have used the "skunk screen cover scent" and man does it reek! I don't use it anymore, after I figured that skunk scent is a defence, warning, and attack style scent. I would think if skunks use it for all that, a deer might get the wrong impression if I use it. I have used coon urine, but I can't stand the smell of it. BTW, What are the "deer scents" therma cell has for its product?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 am

I think it is basically the same thing as the bug repel system but you supply the scent .....
here's the link to their site
http://www.thermascent.net/

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Glad to hear it actually works!!

I have had one for 2 years and always forget i have the darn thing when i go hunting. I did notice that when i tried it out at home it did have a slight odor to it.

One question about it, of course when i got it i had to open a scent pad and try it out right away. will the pad still be good after being in the unit for the past 2 yrs? any one have any experience with this?

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Prairie Shadow.....If the pad is still "Blue" in color you still have some of the repellent left on the pad and it can be used again,most of pads will turn white in color after all the scent has been dispersed.They state a pad will last up to about 2 hours,I have used mine for 30 minutes to an hour and turned it off then used it again a few days later when I went back out in the woods and it worked just fine!

A note on the ThermaScents....you put a pad in it,put whatever brand name of Doe Pee,Doe in Estrous or other scents on it,turn it on and the heat will spread the scent out. 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Gotchya Thanks!

Previous

Return to General Discussions