Corkscrew w/ Practice Broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
marshall9779

Corkscrew w/ Practice Broadheads

Postby marshall9779 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:06 am

I was shooting some on Monday. I had been only shooting filed points the last month or so. I took out my G5 Montec pre-season practice broadheads and shot a few with those. I was shooting at 30yds. They last time I shot at 30 with field points I was shooting a 3" group. These things were corkscrewing like crazy and going in at an angle. There was just a little breeze. Can just a little breeze affect an arrow that much. I do shoot a light arrow, the Beman ICS 400 which is 8.4 gpi. I shoot with 100 gr Montecsand 3"feather vanes. All said and done my arrows weigh about 345gr. Would it help things to switch to a heavier arrow? Could I just move up to the 125 gr Motec and increase the weight that way. I guess shooting a fixed blad broad head there is more are for a breeze to affect things. I have thought about switching to the Rage mechanicals because of there cutting ability and close to field point shape in flight. I try my Montecs again this week when it's not breezy at all and see how they do. I like them and don't want to waste $60 worth of broadheads by switching though.

howhill1

RE: Corkscrew w/ Practice Broadheads

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:56 pm

ok just a few questions.
1. what kind of bow are you shooting? wieght? draw?
2. have you ever shot these broadheads before?
3. what kind of rest are you using?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 pm

I would say the breeze could affect them but it shouldnt that much in my opinion. I would try longer feathers to help get a quicker recovery and I would recomend a strong right helical on them. You could also try the blazer vanes which are what I shoot (with the rages 2 blade) and like , they are supposed to steer fixed blades well. Dont know if theyll work with your rest though. I would also check your paper tuning because any small problem will be enhanced with fixed broadheads. I love the rages and wont switch to anything else until I find a reason too. My brother and I got 2 turkeys and 5 deer with them last year and I dont have one complaint other then sometimes the open up in your quiver during travel but just snap them back in and they are lethal.Good luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:23 pm

I have found with shooting my Muzzy 100 grain MX-3 broadheads, that aligning the 3 blades of the broadheads with the 3 fletches on your arrow shaft will eliminate all or most of the in-flight corkscrewing. Try that if you allready have not, let me know if that works for you. good luck.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

ok just a few questions.
1. what kind of bow are you shooting? wieght? draw?
2. have you ever shot these broadheads before?
3. what kind of rest are you using?

1-I am shooting a Bear Instinct, 60lb, 28in draw
2- I have been using the Montecs fow the last 3 years.
3 - Whisker Biscuit rest, and have been using that for last 3 years.

I was using my Dad's Bowtech 2 years ago as he was unable to bow hunt due to his shoulder, and then befor last season I picked up the Instinct.  

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:41 am

Have u always shot 400's with that set up and weight?

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:42 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I would say the breeze could affect them but it shouldnt that much in my opinion. I would try longer feathers to help get a quicker recovery and I would recomend a strong right helical on them. You could also try the blazer vanes which are what I shoot (with the rages 2 blade) and like , they are supposed to steer fixed blades well. Dont know if theyll work with your rest though. I would also check your paper tuning because any small problem will be enhanced with fixed broadheads. I love the rages and wont switch to anything else until I find a reason too. My brother and I got 2 turkeys and 5 deer with them last year and I dont have one complaint other then sometimes the open up in your quiver during travel but just snap them back in and they are lethal.Good luck!

Where can I read up on paper tuning, but honestly this thing shoots amazing with field points, and the bow was re-set up by a really good guy that my Dad and I have been going to for years. With field points, the arrows hit the target perfectly straight every time. I bought it from Bass Pro and it was set up by them originally. I got it home and just looking at it I was like, man there is something way off. The nock was almost a half inch low. I didn' even try to shoot it until  I had our guy Ross set it up. I have everything marked and nothing has moved. I really think it was the wind, I just need to get out and make sure.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 am

Unless your shooting in 20 mile and hour wind or greater its not the wind. Put the arrow in a spin tester and make sure the broadhead in alighned perfectly true with no wobble. Next make sure your feather is not off, or loose. Every arrow I've ever seen cork scew is either a mis alighed vane or feather or the broad head is out of balance.

With the bisciut straight flethings should be used, helical though a bisciut is not recomended. To much friction

Good luck

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:19 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Have u always shot 400's with that set up and weight?

Yep. Shot all last year. My Dad was using those and I set mine up with those. From what I see they are the right spine for my draw length and weight.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:10 pm

im agreement with mag. i think your problem is in the arrow itself. i dont think helical fletching would cause it though. i shot 4" right helical feathers through a whisker biscuit for a few yeaers with no problems.
   i assumig now that youve changed nothing from last year.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting