A Theoretical Question...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

A Theoretical Question...

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:05 am

This is concerning trail cams. Let me state right off that I do not use them, and have no interest in using them, because for me they are past what for me is my techological threshold as far as what belongs in hunting. What others do is up to them and what's legal. Now having said that..........

I'm aware that there are now trail cams...Buckeye for one...that can be accessed from a home computer, and for all I know maybe even from a "Smart" phone. With this technology, who knows how far it can go. Feeding deer a certain item that has a microchip in it so that you can track them 24/7? Setting up set guns so that you can "hunt" from your computer chair and actually shoot the same way? Who knows? Are deer that are monitored via computer screen then exempt form P&Y and B&C listings because they were taken with the "aid of an electronic device"?

So here's my main question. For those of you who do use them, and even those who don't, what's YOUR "tech threshold"?

Just for the record....and I've stated this before....mine is pretty well regarding anything that has batteries and/or a microchip, as far as using it in the field. The 2 exceptions to that are a flashlight, and the throw away camera that I keep in my truck if I make a kill. But that's me. How about you?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Re: A Theoretical Question...

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 am

It is a moving target for me. Kind of like the Amish.

Okay, I've got your attention, now let me explain. Did you know the Amish do not actually have steadfast rules regarding electricity, automobiles or any other modern conveniences? The truth is, each Amish community decides for themselves what elements of technology to allow. They look at each thing and ask if its use will draw them away from God. If the elders decide that it will not, then it is allowed. There are actually Amish communities in some places that allow limited electricity, phones or even cars. Others, like the one I am close to, are very restrictive.

I evaluate my hunting tech threshold in much the same way. Will this item rob me of an intimate hunting experience or will it make me safer, more efficient, or more humane? For example, having someone filming over my shoulder would steal something from the personal experience for me, so I don't do it. Enclosed blinds make me feel like I'm hunting from indoors, so I avoid them.

On the other hand, I now carry a cell phone because it makes me safer and it also maintains my link to my family. I now use a 4-wheeler for off season chores and recovery because it greatly reduces the overall investment in time away from other commitments. And I'm considering working the GPS function on my smartphone into my tracking routine because I suspect it will increase my recovery rate.

Finally, there are technological advancements that I have avoided, not for any ethical reasons but because they either seem to be too expensive or complicated to hassle with. Some of these are lighted knocks or trail cameras. If money and time were no object I'd play with them and see if the enhance or limit my experience and go from there.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:50 am

The off season use of the ATV doesn't count, IMO, because you are not actually hunting with it. And even during the hunting season if all you are doing is moving equipment or game, then that's something I would do also. I wouldn't hunt from one even it if were legal, and the only time I'd use one to get me close to my stand would be if I had a physical ailment and that's the only way I could hunt. I actually enjoy the physical exercise of walking on my hunting grounds.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Woods Walker wrote:The off season use of the ATV doesn't count, IMO, because you are not actually hunting with it. And even during the hunting season if all you are doing is moving equipment or game, then that's something I would do also. I wouldn't hunt from one even it if were legal, and the only time I'd use one to get me close to my stand would be if I had a physical ailment and that's the only way I could hunt. I actually enjoy the physical exercise of walking on my hunting grounds.

Excellent point. Mine stays strapped on the trailer until I am working on a project an animal is on the ground. Hunting from it or even relying on it to get to a stand would take from the experience for me. But I'm open to exceptions under certain circumstances. Again, a moving target.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:27 pm

I owned one once, just to try it. Got stolen, never again. $200 down the drain. Even on private land. My thoughts on trail cameras is this. I knew a guy who posted pics of a giant buck on facebook he had been watching for a few years. He was excited that this deer was on his trail camera all summer, and into the fall. Bow season came around last year. Well, his neighbor shot the buck fair and square on his property November of 2010. The guy who had this buck on his camera for the last few years got upset that his neighbor took the buck he had been chasing. His comment was something along the lines of, "That SOB shot MY buck". It wasn't just a fun jab at his neighbor. This guy was mad. Since he had this buck on his camera for a few years, he assumed the deer belonged to him. Now, Im not saying this is the case for every hunter who uses trail cameras. It was pretty rotten for that guy to throw a fit over a dead deer that was shot legally on his neighbor's land.
For me personally, I like hunting to be a surprise. Im kinda old school. I love to go and scout and hunt over the best sign I can. If I find a good scrape line, or huge rubs, I just like to sit in a tree, or brush pile nearby, and wonder what kind of buck made them. When I did use a trail camera, I did see nice deer. But, I felt I was going outside my norm when it comes to old fashioned scouting. Plus, I hate seeing an expensive camera disappear.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:49 pm

I really don't have a tech threshold per se. If someone handed me a gewgaw that really did something for me at the right price, I'd probably buy it and use it. So much of the stuff I've either tried and discarded or can't see the use in it.

TrailCams? I've argued against using them. My problem is a) they are not a good predictor b) servicing them unnecessarily disturbs the deer.

ATV's? I'm sorry, but if it irks the snot out of me hearing about guys who wear $300 Scent-lok suits and drive their ATV's to their stand. I just want to pull them out of their stands and slap sense into them. As far as their use for deer retrieval is concerned, I use my pickup truck. I may get one one of these days, but right now, I need the exercise more than anything.

Remote control hunting? Count me out, but that's because I'm not in a wheelchair. I have thought about building a little RC vehicle for doing covert surveillance on the deer and turkey, but once I mounted a weapon on it, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Stuff not mentioned that I would probably throw into the Whistle-on-a-Plow category:

Deer Decoys
Video rifle scopes
laser-anything to do with deer hunting
UV-supression (who'd have guess that one?)
Scent-supression (What's wrong with sodium bicarb?)
Any new rifle chambering that promises better performance on deer than anything previous
Single-shot deer rifles
Cotton thermal underwear
Electronic deer calls

more later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:15 pm

I’m probably one of the few who has a trail camera and doesn’t use it in a hunting situation. I just like to set it up in my yard and see what kind of deer and critters are roaming around. It’s exciting to me. I just don’t want the aggravation of traveling to my hunting area to review the pictures.

Personally, I have no problem with someone using it as a scouting tool. I never gave it the thought of advancements in technology for other purposes as you mention. i.e., robotic shooting etc. etc.. Clearly that would cross the line for me. I’m not even sure about the remote viewing of footage….it’s pushing it. In the rite situation I’m fine with it. At a huge Texas ranch, I would understand the use of remote access. It’s just not my thing.

Guess my big tech gadget would be a rangefinder and a cell phone.

Like many here. I love my walk in, love the simplicity of a hunt without to much interference of tech. Love the scout, and the reward from hard work. But, I’m ok with people choosing the other rout for the most part. Advancement has been beneficial with the gun and bow, why not benefit some other tools of hunting. As long as it's legal.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:11 pm

shaman wrote:Deer Decoys
Video rifle scopes
laser-anything to do with deer hunting
UV-supression (who'd have guess that one?)
Scent-supression (What's wrong with sodium bicarb?)
Any new rifle chambering that promises better performance on deer than anything previous
Single-shot deer rifles
Cotton thermal underwear
Electronic deer call

Several good items in your list Shaman. I think a few of them are worth defending.

- Native Americans were using deer decoys long before European colonization. I'm tempted to drape myself in a hide and try it their way too, but I'd get shot.
- The laser thing is a biggie for me. I began to use a rangefinder after a particularly rough season where botched shots led to some long blood trails. I consider mine to be an essential piece of insurance, not only for myself but the animals I hunt.
- How are single shot rifles a technological advancement?
- Haven't worn cotton thermals in years. I'm an Under Armor guy now. Talk about a technological marvel! I suspect the power behind their Cold Gear may be demonic, but that's a conversation for another thread.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 pm

I use trail cameras. All year round.
I think they are great tools, they can give you a good idea of what is moving around in the woods. I like to have an idea of what I am going after. Just my opinion.
The surprise of seeing other animals is nice too. It is also a hobby of mine, I get all kinds of animals year round. Im always excited to see what I get on my cameras in the spring.. that seems to be the best time to have them out with the most variety of wild animals.
I have spent countless hours glassing fields and scouting to see what is out there, using the cameras just helps me out. I primarily hunt public land now. The private properties I hunted got too caught up in not managing, but trying to "grow" monster bucks. That was not fun to me. I now get enjoyment of the added challenge of hunting public land and the even bigger challenge of hunting mature bucks on public land. There is a certain sense of extra fulfillment for me.. harvesting mature deer on public land. There is a general etiquette usually followed on the public land I hunt... not saying its followed all the time but... for the most part on the public land I hunt, most of my stuff doesnt get bothered. Even on the patch of land I was having troubles on.. the etiquette has been followed. So i do not worry about leaving a camera or a stand out. Usually people tend to stay away.. even if itss only 25 yardss a way... most people still show respect.

Anyway, the cameras def give me an advantage... probably the biggest one is the time of day trails are getting used. I have got burned on that many times before... you see great sign, good usage.. later to find out its all night time activity. The use of cameras helps with this.. doesnt solve it, but def keeps me from hunting a stand that may not produce. I enjoy using them, the help me decided where to hunt and thats about it.

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:56 pm

I have used trail cameras for a few years now, the biggest diapointment is I never end up seeing the same deer when I'm out hunting. I am going to stop using them. I agree that I miss the element of surprise while out hunting. I will continue to use my range finder although I am too chicken to shoot over 30 yds even though I practice at 60 all summer long.
I heard a couple years ago that you could actually shoot deer via the computer already. I have always been known as a gadget guy but those days are over. I have tried them all & most are worthless. Back to the basics. I mentioned in a couple of other posts that hunting for me needs to be made fun again & that is what I intend to do. Technology has ruined deer hunting!

Merry Christmas to you all.
Bruce
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Next

Return to General Discussions