DNR to vote on trail cams on public land.

Jslotter

DNR to vote on trail cams on public land.

Postby Jslotter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I don't know why hunters trust leaving anything on public land.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The state Natural Resources Board plans to ask the Conservation Congress to vote on whether people should be allowed to leave trail cameras on public land overnight.

The Department of Natural Resources prohibits storing personal property on public lands. The agency says that includes leaving trail cameras overnight. But DNR officials say they're getting more requests to leave the cameras in the woods as the devices become more popular.

Board members say they want to gather more public input on the issue before making a decision. The congress' vote won't be binding.

The board is expected to finalize the question's wording at its January meeting.

--------------------------------

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The state Natural Resources Board is set to consider whether to allow people to leave trail cameras on public lands.

The Department of Natural Resources currently prohibits storing personal property on public lands. The agency says that policy blocks people from leaving trail cameras overnight.

But agency officials say they've gotten requests for permission to leave the cameras in the woods as their popularity grows. They've presented the board with a draft order that would allow cameras overnight between Sept. 1 and the end of the archery deer season if the cameras are secured to prevent theft and owners allow the DNR to move them if necessary.

The board is scheduled to consider the order at a meeting on Wednesday in Madison.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Bigwoods35

Re: DNR to vote on trail cams on public land.

Postby Bigwoods35 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:27 pm

My brother bought a cheap camera this year to help us scout public land. We were unaware it was illegal to utilize trail cams on public land until we heard of a guy getting fined in the area we hunt. Every year I read the Deer Hunting regs and I couldn't find anything about trail cam use. Is there any mention of this topic in the regs that I could have missed or is it found somewhere else?

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 pm

In our rule book it says this is a guide and does not contain all the rules. for more information contact ODNR. (by memory) So when in doubt, ask.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Bigwoods35

Postby Bigwoods35 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:12 pm

I am aware of that disclaimer; however, it seems that this is a too common issue and should be in the regulation book. We as hunters shouldn't have to call the DNR in regards to every minor thing we do in the woods to see if we are line with the rules. Bottom line is cameras should be allowed on DNR lands at the risk of the camera owner.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:39 pm

I am gonna guess it is something about your state's regs, because our Ohio Regs don't say one word about trail/ game cameras in our yearly booklets. Neither do any of the pamphlets I have on public areas/lands. (you got me wondering about OUR public land regs) I would suggest you contact your DNR for clairifacation. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Wisconsin