Assault Rifles

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: Assault Rifles

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:49 am

The term, "assault rifle" has always amused me.

To my way of thinking, ANY FIREARM that is being pointed at ME with the intent of doing me harm is an ASSAULT weapon!

I don't think that a deer would make any distiction between you trying to blow his butt away with a bow, a shotgun, or an AR-15!

All he knows is...***DANGER***  RUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:40 am

To bad politicians dont see it that way huh?

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:02 am

Woods I agree with you!  Assault rifle is a way ambiguous term in my opinion and I've always thought it a funny one.  People can call em' whatever they want to though I don't much care as it is 6 or 1/2 dozen...any weapon gun or not can be an assault weapon.  I think the first one was a sharp rock of just the right size.  Then that was illegally modified and enhanced with the addition of a tactical reach device ( hickory handle) and away we go....[:D]  I heard somewhere and I forget the person that said it but..."  there are no dangerous guns just dangerous people"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:57 pm

Years ago, the Demo-Libs had their bowels in an uproar over what they termed "Saturday Night Specials", in response to weapons that were used in street crime, bar shootings, domestic disturbances, etc.

It was supposed to be a term that defined inexpensive handguns, usually imported. You know, the only kind that honest, low income people who live in Democrat controlled high crime areas can afford to defend their homes and family.

They claimed that these guns were the CAUSE of inner city crime, and in their zeal to legislate against them, they "accidently" wrote into the bills wording that would have banned the importation, sale, and possession of not just affordable guns for non-criminals, but Colt, Ruger, and Smith and Wesson arms that retailed in the $400 to $1000 range!

All the while, they missed the whole concept that a "Saturday Night Special" is about PERSONAL BEHAVIOR, and NOT an inanimate object.

Come to think of it...they STILL don't get it!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:41 pm

oh they get it .....    they just dont want US to have it!
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

oneshot

Postby oneshot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey Brother, thanks for your service. I am in the Army and just bought my first AR. I understand what you mean with terminoligy. I still want to call it a M4. ha. Everyone looks at me like I robbed the arms room....

gatodoc

Re: RE: Assault Rifles

Postby gatodoc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 pm

howhill1 wrote:indeed

every firearm we have today began at some point as a millitary weapon.
hopefully some day the ar platform as well as some others will recieve the credit they deserve as fine examples of firearm engineering and not just somthing to be feared and loathed.

Well put. It is my understanding that my cherished savage model 99 300 cal was developed in 1899 by savage arms company in attempt to sell it to the army as the latest greatest infantry weapon. The army chose someone else's design, but the darn thing turned out to be one fine hunting rifle design. Shooting bullets accurately and effectively is what it's all about. The only variation is the target and the environment..

Woods Walker

Re: Assault Rifles

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Ditto on the 99. I've got one in .308 caliber, and I love that rifle. Easy to handle, balanced, and accurate.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Best Practices